Is it time to rename the hobby?

VE6RWP

I have a Jeep, and it has my call on its license plate.  In fact, I have my call emblazoned on my paddles, hats, mugs, and shirts.  My welcome mat says "NS7X QTH."  I have a hand-made southwestern silver bracelet which reads "NS7X."  A convict from the Wyoming State Penitentiary manufactured an "NS7X" western-style belt buckle for me.  I even have a seam-ripper with my call inscribed on it.  I'll probably have my call engraved on my tombstone along with some glib comment about my being on the ultimate DXpedition.  Guess I'm one of those "hot dog" amateurs you guys are so anxious to distance yourselves from.

On the other hand, I've also been a volunteer firefighter, a volunteer paramedic, and a full-time paid (ie professional) paramedic/EMS instructor for a county-wide 911 service.  Trust me on this one, the term "volunteer" is met with derision in EMS circles.  "Volunteers" are seen as inept, unpracticed, inexperienced individuals who wear bright orange jackets decorated with 37 patches and pins and proudly proclaim that "trauma makes my [you-know-what] hard."  It's a shame really, because it's the unpaid, usually rural EMT's and firefighters who perform the miracles.  But that's another rant.

My experience has been that the general public doesn't recognize the term "amateur radio operator" at all.  So I really don't think it matters one way or the other if we call ourselves amateurs, volunteers, or enthusiasts.  Most people, however, have heard the phrase "ham radio," and even have a mental image of a ham (usually involving an attic, an eccentric uncle, and about a ton of tube-type electronics which emit the same sound effects used by the 1950's SF movies.)

It seems to me any effort to change our identity from amateur to volunteer is a moot exercise when we are primarily known as hams.  But that's just me. 

• Administrator

First I would like to thank all of you on this thread. This is why I created Ham Community, to create a space where we could disagree with respect and empathy. Kudos to all of you.

I also want to weigh in on a couple of points.

I actually really like @KG6TGU description of a prepper. I say this because the term does indeed have a negative connotation for many. And the way Larry puts it makes a lot of sense. Indeed, then, I am a prepper too by that definition. I have a Jeep, it has VHF and HF radios. I have a sparse go-kit in the car, and a full one at home. I also have a kit in my all-terrain motorcycle. I have enough food for several weeks and all the basic survival gear one would need to stay alive for several months. What Larry says that I like most is the notion of the Government, any government, in the U.S. or abroad, from Federal to local, cannot always be expected to show up on our doorstep in a moment's notice. Years ago I wrote a book called The Critical Century which spoke of the risks to society posed by a convergence of potential systemic failures. We really do live in a time where many of the systems we rely on are a moment away from catastrophic failure. Is it wrong to, at least, consider some preparedness?

This said, I admit that I find some prepping efforts to be a little extreme in their preparedness. Apocalyptic-scale preparedness assumes a collapse on a magnitude that presents an infinitesimally small percentage of occurrence. Preparing for something that has a .00X% of occurring is a right, but not one that I have spent time developing.

And throughout all this, we come back to the original question of this thread: what's in a name? I think we agree that the 'hobby' is about much more than emergencies, so using that term seems unfair and inaccurate. But the word amateur sends a rather clumsy message. Quick story: in high school I had a drama teacher (Ron Dobrin) who taught that there is no such thing as Amateur or Professional, only Good or Bad. You can be a high-performance Amateur; look no further than the Olympic Games. Nonetheless, the word Amateur implies sub-par performance hence my continuing belief that the instances that govern us should at least consider opening the topic up for constructive debate.

If possible, let's keep this thread on the topic of the 'naming' of the hobby. You're welcome to open another thread on prepping.

Again, thanks all; I really enjoy good discussion.

• 1 month later...

After seeing shack pictures on QRZ and comments on FB, I think we might want to call ourselves "professional radio buyers" and/or "flat screen operators."

None of that has to do with actually operating a radio, so maybe Part 97 will need to change too. Maybe we could call it Part $97.95 plus tax.

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all...I just joined and this is my first post.  I got my Technicians license back in 2013. I have a few cheap HT radios and hit the repeaters around here (including Disney World's) when I have time.  As for other bands and learning more, I haven't really put in much of an effort.  I have always built electronic projects and had an old tube shortwave radio when I was a kid. I know a license was required so I never transmitted on it...didn't even own a microphone.  The CW requirement always deterred me from investigating a license. The "Amateur" label never really bothered me but I can see the points made above as valid.

Jump 30-40 years and I am a licensed pilot, audio-lighting tech and amateur electronics enthusiast who has built some wireless solutions for lighting control for stage use that haven't been done before. Without the CW requirement, my interest renewed and I got my technicians license.  Playing around with the HTs was fun for awhile but I don't know any other hams in my area and the one local meeting I attended was welcoming but not really encouraging. I think it really does take another ham, not necessarily an Elmer, to take a newbie under their wing.  Didn't find that there.

Now, I have order a HF transceiver and have started looking for an inexpensive 6 meter, easily portable antenna. Doing a quick search, I discovered there is a new Ham Radio Outlet in town so I plan to go visit and see if I can fine anyone nearby willing to teach/help me get started.  I also joined this forum. 

To bring this back around to the topic...

I don't think it is the name that is the problem.  Kids today have so many other options to fill their time and hobbies. Back 50 years ago, to talk to people all over the world almost required ham radio. Today, you can use your cellphone to do the same.  The internet allows global connection we could have never predicted. People communicate with others anytime and anywhere in the world so easily today. Those that were brought to ham radio looking to connect and experience other countries and cultures through contact get that 24/7 on TV and the Internet today.  That leaves those interested in electronics, ham radio itself, emergency communications, and preppers as potential newcomers. 

People are interested in what others are doing, especially parents. If ham radio is to survive, it is going to require those in it to promote it and introduce it to the younger generations. What are other fading hobbies doing?  Radio Control planes have been overrun with drones. I used to fly RC planes before I got my pilots license. Even I have a drone and with modern technology, there is almost no learning curve to fly. It's a disposable hobby.  You can enter it and be flying in minutes, not the days, weeks, or months it took to become a competent pilot and not destroy your RC plane. Ham radio requires study and education to even earn the right to push the PTT switch. How many kids put that kind of effort into anything?  So much easier to create a Tie Tok account and broadcast to the world.  We need to find ways to reach younger people and build enthusiasm. How do you reach kids and young adults that have the bug to tinker, explore and learn?  I think that is the key. I don't see where 'Amateur Radio's' name hinders or helps in this regard.  

We need to become a big part of STEM education.  While coding and building small tech devices seems to be drawing in students, I haven't seen Amateur Radio involved or trying to be a part of it. Radio is actually more 'community' and social based than almost all other STEM segments. Coding is a lonely and solo task for most. How can we connect with STEM students and bring them into the Ham community?

I do like the Emergency signs for the cars.  It specifically describes what you do much better.  Plus, the authorities (police, fire, etc...) are more likely to flag you in or through with 'emergency' on the side of the car than 'Amateur' considering the current definition of the word. 

• Like | Congratulations 1

Hi, Jerry!  Great comments! And welcome to Ham Community!

You were talking about how STEM and ham radio is a great combination for schools.  Are you familiar with pico-balloons? There are hams going into science classrooms, launching pico-balloons with the kids, and giving them the info to track the balloon's travels on their cell phones.  The balloons are the usual mylar balloons which say "Happy Birthday," are filled with helium, have a payload weighing a few grams, are solar powered, and carry a ham radio transmitter.  Often times, they circumnavigate the world.  They are great fun and a wonderful way to introduce ham radio to kids.

Just thought you might be interested.
https://k1fm.us/2019/05/k1fm-pico-balloon-part-one/
https://www.rmham.org/rmham-nm-launches-pico-balloon/

MaryAnn, NS7X

• Agree | Support 2

• Administrator

I agree with MaryAnn, great post Jerry. One thing I'd like to jump on, the comparison to cell phones. Yup, that's the one I keep hearing too. My simpleton come-back to that is that my daughters cannot just pick up their cell phone and reach out to randomly speak to someone in Ghana. We, on the other hand, get on 20m, call CQ, and make a new acquaintance in... Ghana. I've actually converted a few to Amateur Radio with that one-liner, what's more, I actually believe it. I don't think that there is another way to meet people from around the world the way we can with Amateur Radio. And so, thinking out loud, while I fully, totally, 100% agree with the STEM + HAM paradigm, I do think there is value in reminding ourselves, and those we are trying to seduce into the hobby, that the rewards are substantial and go beyond either the technicity of it all, or the contesting, which keeps so many hams busy. In short, in order, STEM, outreach, contesting. I think that's how I see the pitch.

And welcome aboard Jerry. We are not a very active community, just a few of us are regulars despite quite a nice membership, but we are steadfast in our defense of decorum, good mentoring, and civility.

• Like | Congratulations 1

I agree Jim,

The closest comparison I know is the Internet and social media.  You can meet people from all over the world....and it's a lot easier than purchasing equipment and getting licensed.  They already have a smartphone or computer.  I like the raw, static-filled analog paradigm.  I equate it like this...

The Internet is the nice shiny new Starship Enterprise with all it's high-tech shields, scanners, and weapons.  Ham radio is like "Wrath of Kahn" when they entered the nebula and none of those fancy systems functioned. Back to basics.  I don't know how many young people would feel such a connection without strong mentoring by a parent, grandparent, or older mentor.  

For example, my wife is a touring rock violinist.  In the past she toured with Styx, Led Zeppelin, and all the groups I grew up listening to.  The rest of her current band is under 30 years old.  One of them grew up with a grandfather that listened to 70-80s music and taught her the history.  She knows the songs and history very well and has a solid connection to that music...and it shows in her performance. My wife's band performs classic and modern rock on electric strings. The rest of the band has no such connection and just plays the music.  They would rather listen to some new crap, but it's touring and a paycheck.  I think this sort of connection is what would draw new hams to the hobby. My grandfather was a Masterchief in the SeaBees.  I grew up with his stories and developed a connection to the military, the conflicts, and the technology of the period. It led to me buying a used tube transceiver at a garage sale when I was about 9 or 10.  We strung a long wire into the tree in the front yard and listened for hours. Most of what we heard in the late 70s was CW and other languages, but we caught some regular broadcasts and occasionally eavesdropped on a conversation. The first stop when company came over was the time broadcast because it was easy to find and always there. 

This led me to a deeper interest in electronics and I took everything I could apart and put it back together. With no formal training, I was building circuits and understood the working principles. This is what STEM is trying to do today. Most of what I see in STEM training is computer based. Arduino and Lego coding and the like.  Great to hear they are also using pico-balloons and such, but that still isn't the raw, reaching out to others in the dark that I associate with ham radio. We all had walkie talkies when we were kids.  We always wanted more channels, more range.  That leads to Amateur Radio.  Today's kids use smartphones and apps that have unlimited range. They have no 'want' for more. How do we peak their interest in ham radio when they use highly-developed consumer devices that 'do the same thing' to them? This is where I think we need those better connects to history and the past. Most kids today don't know anything that happened before they turned 8 years old.  It's not really taught anymore. The building blocks have been forgotten and everything started with the iPhone. 

I think there are plenty of kids that would respond and join if they had connections. The general image of the last couple of generations are that they are lazy, self-centered, and want the easy path.  This is true for many, but I know a lot of engaged kids that work hard and have a natural curiosity. How do you put ham radio in front of these kids so they have an opportunity to participate and possibly join long-term?  How do you compete with Halo and Facebook?  The license to me is the biggest barrier.  I don't know how to fix that and I don't recommend ending licensing for all the obvious reasons.  Maybe a youth license with a simple test and VERY limited rights, but with all the flavors from phone, CW and SSTV to draw their interest.  There could even be 'student' radio sets that only have access to a very few frequencies where they can experiment.  If they catch the bug, they will want more and can move to higher licenses. I know this is probably what the Novice license is designed for, I haven't looked to see what that test covers so it may be exactly what I described. Are there 'Novice' radio sets out there? Something that could be loaned or donated to schools or clubs without access to off-limits bands and frequencies?  Just let the kids play. 

Just talking off the top of my head.  Like I said, I have been licensed for 9 years, but got really busy with life and occasionally pull out my HT and hit the repeaters at Disney (I live 2 miles away) and can chat with others in Orlando and Los Angeles through a trunk. I am an avid storm watcher and chat with others when storms come through the area. I have yet to really explore the world of QSOs and digital...but I have a new HF transceiver coming in next week.  I am limited to 6 meters by my Technician license, but it will let me dip my toes in.  I hope to find someone very close to me with experience to partner with. You can only go so far on YouTube videos and reading the blogs and forums.  You have to 'do' and sometimes that is easier with some hand-holding. I am not very shy when it comes to this stuff, but you don't want to mess up or run afoul of the law.  It feels like when I learned to use the aviation radio during my pilot training.  Again, I had an instructor right there to direct and correct me. 

• Agree | Support 1

• Administrator

Two things Jerry. First, you had me at my wife is a touring rock violinist!! Will message you about my cousin. Curious if they crossed paths.

As for the student license. I AGREE. I've been a proponent of a student license for years. There are many variations as to the best formula for said license, but if we could get the ARRL & FCC to start discussions, that would be a great step forward.