RF Connection is proud to co-sponsor Ham Community and its members – keeping it free of advertising clutter – right up to the end of December 2020.
Say thank you by visiting their website or special Ham Community page.
Who we are
We are a group of amateur radio operators who decided to launch a forum with 'Community' as the central precept. The online forum is managed by Excess Noise LLC, a Maryland-based corporation in the United States of America. If you have any questions about how we use your personal information or any requests relating to your information, please open a support request.
What personal information do we collect and use?
Processing personal information is incidental to our operations. The categories of personal information we process on a regular basis are names, amateur radio call signs, contact details, brief biographies, communications you send us. We also have access to some personal information of the users that access our websites, notably IP addresses, date and time of access.
As a rule, we obtain personal information directly from you. In limited situations, we also use information we observe about you. This happens when you visit our website, if you accept cookies and when we receive information on whether you opened or not the emails with our Newsletters (unless you block this tracking).
Why and how do we use your personal information?
We use this personal information to send you communications related to our Community and common interests, invitations for events or to facilitate your participation to our working groups, conferences and other events.
Note that we send our own emails, from our own server: we do not use a third party email service that could use or resell your data.
Who has access to your data?
The only time your data could be shared is when we co-organize events, panels, or engage in initiatives jointly with other entities. The information we share is limited to name and callsign. We will not release any contact information without your voluntary consent.
WE NEVER SELL YOUR DATA. THAT IS NOT OUR BUSINESS MODEL.
We only keep your data for as long as you want to hear from us or otherwise stay connected to our Community. Beyond your involvement in the Community, the period of time your data stays in our system varies, so we cannot give you a precise number. As a rule, if you are a newsletter subscriber, we will continue sending you our newsletter until you opt out or our email bounces. In these cases, we will proceed to erasing your email address from our database. Your data will then remain in the system until the next purge which is usually weekly. If you are a registrant for one of our events, we are storing your name and contact details to send you notice of future events, unless you instruct us at registration not to do so. Registration data is kept unless we are asked to purge it. Finally, if you leave the Community altogether, your data will be retained for one year at which time it will be purged entirely.
You are in charge
If you want to check with us whether we have your personal information and what personal information we have about you, if you want to correct or update your information or even if you want us to erase your contact details, open a support request here.
Are you based in the European Union?
If you are based in the EU or EEA and interact with us, the processing of your personal data (or personal information) will fall under the General Data Protection Regulation. This depends on whether your personal data is processed in the context of us providing you services or monitoring your behavior. All the information above is applicable to you as well.
Legal bases and purposes
Know that we are controller of the processing of personal data in relation to conducting our activity. We process your personal data:
- on the basis of your consent when you subscribe to our newsletters, when you request to be included among our contacts for future events or to follow our activity, when we take photos during the events we organize in any country and in the EU in particular, and when our website places non-essential cookies on your device,
- on the basis of necessity to enter a contract or for the performance of a contract when you provide us information to register for participation to the conferences and other events we organize,
- on the basis of our legitimate interests to engage with relevant stakeholders to promote principled data practices in support of emerging technologies, when we obtain your professional contact details, we maintain them and contact you as one of our stakeholders; we have balanced your rights and our legitimate interest and we believe that the small amount of personal data we process, the type of data (your FCC or public, government-generated contact information and your certification), your probable expectation to be contacted in relation with your interests or expertise, as well as the possibility you have to opt-out of this processing at any time, allow us to rely on our legitimate interests for this processing.
- communicate with the relevant representatives of our Members for the purpose of providing our services; we can rely on this ground, since there is a clear expectation of the relevant representatives of our Members that they will be engaged in our activities and that we will communicate with them.
You have the right to obtain access, rectification, erasure, restriction of personal data, portability of personal data and to object to the processing, under the conditions and restrictions laid out in Chapter III of the GDPR. You can also withdraw your consent at any time, when processing is based on consent, as described above. Just open a support request with any request you may have regarding these rights.
We transfer your personal data to the United States whenever you interact with us. The US has not sought, nor obtained adequacy status from the European Union. The EU-US Privacy Shield framework obtained an adequacy decision. The level of protection of your personal data is not deemed equivalent to the one in the EU, unless the receiving organization is self-certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield.
We transfer your personal data on the basis of the derogations in Article 49 GDPR, particularly:
- consent, for newsletter subscribers and certain processing in relation to organizing events such as collecting and storing images;
- necessity to enter and for the performance of a contract for registration information to participate to our events;
- our compelling legitimate interests to engage with stakeholders to advance our mission and bridge the understanding of the American and European privacy cultures, for obtaining contact details and communicating with stakeholders for sending occasional invitations to events or exchanging information. For this last derogation, we took into account that we only process personal data occasionally, mostly from publicly available sources, concerning a very limited number of data subjects, in a non-intrusive way and posing no risks to rights of individuals.
As for safeguards to your personal data, we directly apply the GPDR provisions to your personal data. As a matter of principle, we do not engage in any onward transfers regarding your data, beyond the access that our processors have to your data.
If you have concerns, questions or requests about how we process personal data, write to us. If we will not be able to ease your concerns, you can address them to the data protection Supervisory Authority in your country, pursuant to Article 77 GDPR.
Date of this revision: 3 June 2019
Ham Community, 6900 Wisconsin Avenue #5721, Bethesda, Maryland, 20824