Continue to learn?

K3MRI

Post-license learning  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How important is it to 'keep' learning after one's license?

• Very important
    • Somewhat important
    • Not critical
  2. 2. On a scale of 0 (none) to 3 (regularly), how much time would you say you spend 'learning' about ham radio in some formal way?

• 0 - none
    • 1 - a little
    • 2 - considerable
    • 3 - regularly
  3. 3. Which TWO (maximum) do you currently use as your 'principal' source of learning?

• Books
    • Magazine articles
    • Online user videos
    • Conferences and forums
    • Club events
    • One-on-one with an Elmer
    • Experimenting on my own
    • Other (none of the above)
  4. 4. Which of these topics would be the TWO (maximum) that would currently interest you the most?

• Electronics
    • Propagation
    • Electricity and grounding
    • RFI
    • Antenna construction
    • Shack-setup best practices
    • Club leadership knowhow
    • Digital modes
    • Overall ham software knowledge
    • Other

• Administrator

How important is it to continue learning after one obtains a license? I'm not talking about learning about gear, I'm talking more the theory, the regulations, propagation, etc. Is it important to read? Is it important to watch videos? Also, who should we be learning from? Are we better off learning exclusively from established, bona fide Elmers and experts, or should we be open to learning from anyone, even if we don't know how expert they may be? Finally, what should we learn about most?

• Like | Congratulations 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Not a scientific poll, I know, but so far it does seem as though most of us believe in the need for ongoing learning. I know that I do.

I am a firm believer in the mentality that one never knows everything and a day without learning is the day that I’m dying. 
specifically as it relates to ham radio I am highly focused right now on learning about antenna and the theory behind the construction of antennas. And next will be learning how and trying to make my own antennas. 

• 1 month later...
  • Ionosphere

You get married then learn how to be a spouse.  You have a kid then learn how to be a parent.
All a ham license does is confirm you know enough hopefully not to electrocute yourself and are familiar enough with the regulations not to be a butthole on the radio.
A ham license doesn't make you a ham anymore than getting your first drivers license when you're 16 makes you a driver.
"Here's your ham license.  Now go and learn." ~ KD3Y

• Agree | Support 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

On 8/17/2023 at 10:56 PM, KD3Y said:

You get married then learn how to be a spouse.  You have a kid then learn how to be a parent.
All a ham license does is confirm you know enough hopefully not to electrocute yourself and are familiar enough with the regulations not to be a butthole on the radio.
A ham license doesn't make you a ham anymore than getting your first drivers license when you're 16 makes you a driver.
"Here's your ham license.  Now go and learn." ~ KD3Y

Completely agree hence where Ham Community is going... New directions! Stay tuned.

• Thanks 1