Hand pump for underground fuel tanks.

W3TDH

• Elmer

On the subject of fuel supplies, if you are going into a large disaster area you will need a way to get fuel out of underground tanks without needing electrical power. That is especially true if the rules, governing your particular transportation means, prevent you from carrying any fuel with you. One remedy, which worked for me, was to make a long suction pipe for a rotary vane drum pump like the one shown in this photograph.

31vTnTTH+LL.jpg

The reason for using of a rotary vane pump is that it is a positive displacement pump. That means that it can pump any fluid including air. By taking air out of the intake pipe you lower the pressure inside the pipe so that the 14.7 pounds of normal atmospheric pressure can force the fuel up the pipe. No foot valve is used so that when the pump is to be taken apart the fuel in the intake pipe will readily drain back into the underground tank. A small air inlet valve just below the pump can be used to allow air to enter the pipe from the top so as to reduce spillage when the intake pipe is detached from the pump. Some rotary vane pumps can be turned in reverse to empty the fuel in the pump body back down the intake pipe. 

Use 5 foot long pieces of threaded rigid aluminum conduit which will connect to each other using aluminum couplings. Aluminum is used for it's lower weight. The first piece will have to have a ~6 inch capped stub out of one end of a straight condulet; see photograph;

spacer.png

to keep the intake up off of the very bottom of the tank. That avoids taking sludge up with the fuel. The condulet will be the suction strainer

spacer.png

for fuel flowing into the intake pipe. The opening of the condulet can be covered with course screening to keep larger semi solid contaminants out of the fuel. Using a jig saw cut all but the rim out of the condulet's cover. Place screening, such as 1/8 inch hardware cloth, over the opening and fasten the cover's rim over it. There is no reason to try to seal the edge because any leakage will be through gaps that are smaller than the 1/8 inch square openings in the hardware cloth.

spacer.png

With the conduit made up in 5 foot lengths it will be transportable. Attach rolls of Teflon pipe sealing tape to the drum pump's handle using Ty-Raps®. I will be needed to make an airtight seal when the conduit lengths are assembled into an intake pipe. 2 V jaw pipe pliers

spacer.png

should also be part of this kit.

Tom Horne W3TDH

Edited by W3TDH
correct some syntex.
  • Like | Congratulations 1

• Administrator

Thought I would add a link to Justrite. I have bought from them in past and they are American-made and solid.

https://www.justrite.com

I'll also add them to our links directory.

• Elmer

Safeway Manufacturing makes a rectangular safety can which has the guards required for use in transportation.

spacer.png

These are easier to carry on a pack board and to carry in a vehicle. The pouring hose can be removed during transport. There are round bottom safety cans available with guards from Justrite but they are not as easy to transport because the shape takes up more space in a vehicle.

Tom W3TDH

Edited by W3TDH
Added link to DOT Approved round can
  • Thanks 1

• Administrator

Thanks for this one. Interestingly, their website leaves a lot to be desired, it's not even 'secure' and really has nothing on it. However, their products are widely available from reputable dealers such as Northern Tool: https://www.northerntool.com / This is the direct link to their gas cans: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_fuel-transfer-lubrication+gas-cans

**edit**

Northern Tool does 'not' sell Safe-t-way fuel cans. In fact, I'm having a hard time finding them. Will look again.

• 1 year later...
  • Elmer

On 4/5/2022 at 5:08 AM, K3MRI said:

Northern Tool does 'not' sell Safe-t-way fuel cans. In fact, I'm having a hard time finding them. Will look again.

I called Safety way directly and I sent them a follow up email. Their telephone person, who may have been some sort of manager or even an owner, said they would send me the O-rings for the 2, 5 gallon, DOT approved, cans that I already have as well as any local vendor and the factory direct price for purchasing directly from them. The factory direct price is usually the "Suggested Retail Price" which is nearly always higher than the actual market price when buying from a local distributor or retailer.

I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Tom W3TDH