HAPPY THANKSGIVING FROM OUR HAM COMMUNITY FAMILIES TO YOURS! ×

Prosigns

WA2WMR

I've noticed that in most CQ QSOs, prosigns such as BK are sent as two letters. These are supposed to be sent as a single character

(dah di di di dah di dah). Is it a matter of people not being with this convension or is it a matter of people using keyboards or memory keyers that don't have a provision for running two characters together?

• Agree | Support 1

[AR], [SK], [BT], [AA], even [SOS] are prosigns which are sent as a single character. 

I don't know what the answer to your query is, although I imagine it's both a question of ignorance of the operator and a question of inadequate software design. 

Personally, I really haven't noticed a problem with prosigns.  But then again, I tend to hang out with CW traffic handlers, and they know their stuff...HI HI

• Administrator

ELMER

I remember my dad commenting on this fifty years ago. He lamented the lack of rigor. For him, what we now call pro signs (I can't remember if that's what he called them) were a single letter. The one that used to send him for a loop was SOS. One letter he would scream into the speaker 😂 

• Agree | Support 1

• Administrator

ELMER

Rather than hijacking this thread, someday I'll post some of his story. Mosquito pilot, escaped POW, civil engineer who built some fairly big infrastructure... oh yeah, and built a beverage antenna on a circular irrigator. Again, will someday post elsewhere...

• Like | Congratulations 1