What would you buy with $10,000

• Administrator

Just curious what people would put on their wishlist if they were given a US $10,000 gift certificate to buy kit or single item to add to their shack? What would you spend it on??

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Probably the smarter move, but I admit I was thinking of something else. I guess in some respects I have a two track mind, spend money on hand gear or photography gear. All week, and anniversary gifts.

I'd first give a little TLC to my HAM group's mobile radio tower and then move on building the perfect HAM Go Box. I've had my eyes on the Commander 7200. An awesome grab-and-go. 

20200901_071908.thumb.jpg.12051521c2f5220a8706e17a2b032cb9.jpg

That's not all!

I'd get an EX4000S Honda Generator and covert it to go old propane and a backup solar panel kit to charge a battery bank array.

Of course, 10k is a lot of coin, so I'd need to get creative. Perhaps outfit my cars with the perfect radios and antennas setup. I'd let the community decide that for me via an online survey, because that would feel like a surprise gift and of course more fun.

If any cheese was left, I'd pay off a few bills and buy my wife a step-up for her Jeep. 

Edited by N0FML
  • Like | Congratulations 1

• Elmer

I'd find the best deal I could on 2400 watt inverter generators and LiFePh4 batteries and provide them to our younger ARES members so as to help them be ready to deploy. I might also include a complete 11' x 11' tan Standard Integrated Command Post System (SICPS) tent from military surplus with a "boot wall." The boot wall would make it possible to attach a weather resistant access to a vehicle over a fairly wide range of types. If I could find one in good condition I'd add a single unit shelter heat and cooling unit. Those include a Generator to power the system. Those would make a good support item for an ARES Mutual Assistance Team (ARES MAT).

--

Tom Horne W3TDH

SICPS Tent.jpg

• Administrator

3 hours ago, N0FML said:

I'd first give a little TLC to my HAM group's mobile radio tower and then move on building the perfect HAM Go Box. I've had my eyes on the Commander 7200. An awesome grab-and-go. 

That's not all!

I'd get an EX4000S Honda Generator and covert it to go old propane and a backup solar panel kit to charge a battery bank array.

Of course, 10k is a lot of coin, so I'd need to get creative. Perhaps outfit my cars with the perfect radios and antennas setup. I'd let the community decide that for me via an online survey, because that would feel like a surprise gift and of course more fun.

If any cheese was left, I'd pay off a few bills and buy my wife a step-up for her Jeep. 

Hey Buddy, good list there. I like the feel of the Commander construction. It just feels strong.

25 minutes ago, W3TDH said:

I'd find the best deal I could on 2400 watt inverter generators and LiFePh4 batteries and provide them to our younger ARES members so as to help them be ready to deploy. I might also include a complete 11' x 11' tan Standard Integrated Command Post System (SICPS) tent from military surplus with a "boot wall." The boot wall would make it possible to attach a weather resistant access to a vehicle over a fairly wide range of types. If I could find one in good condition I'd add a single unit shelter heat and cooling unit. Those include a Generator to power the system. Those would make a good support item for an ARES Mutual Assistance Team (ARES MAT).

--

Tom Horne W3TDH

SICPS Tent.jpg

Hey Tom, I like that tent. I've been looking at getting an Ice-fishing cube. I like them because they are wind tested and they're nice and dark making it easy to see readouts. The only hassle is that they're warm. I did try a summer version of them that James (W3JRD) lent me but it did not stand up to Assataeague winds last year. That would actually be my only concern with the SICPS, they're strong but the wind does like them. Love that you're thinking about batteries for the younguns. 

• Elmer

1 hour ago, K3MRI said:

Love that you're thinking about batteries for the younguns. 

Individual equipment for those just starting in EMCOMM would be my first priority. A couple of other things I would consider would be ~10 to 25 Yaesu FT-60 Portable radios with Byonics Tinytrak modems. If I could get the Byonics All In One as a 2way busy channel detecting APRS tracker I would look into those. They are fairly watertight and self contained. I would want to add an external shrouded, water proof, center off double throw switch to select the 2 profiles. If it were possible an external covered Emergency switch which would take 2 motions of a gloved finger to open the cover and throw the switch would be great. Within the present configuration that would have to be integrated into the double pole switch in some way. A completely covered switch in series with the Emergency pole of the Double pole switch would meet that requirement without requiring an electronic redesign of the transmitter.

I've already tested the present model inside the next size smaller pelican case and it does fit. If Byonics could add external connectors for power/charging and Data IO that would be fantastic. Since short Winlink messages can be sent over APRS it would give the individual ARES operator a lot of options.That would be the other reason to have a transceiver in lieu  of a transmit only design. For any routine traffic the operator could send a short Winlink message without needing the voice channel to make their report. It might make things less exciting for the Net Control Operators but I don't see that as a bad thing.

Just imagine the field operators at any event being able to indicate, without first having to get the net control operators attention, that they had urgent or Emergency traffic for them. No more waiting anxiously for the channel to become available. They trip the appropriate profile and net control calls them. That would provide a much smoother information flow by indicating to net control who should have their attention next. They need an ambulance for a patient who is unresponsive, not breathing, in heat stroke, bleeding out, Femur fracture... They can get the channel immediately. Heat exhaustion etc the other profile would indicate non emergency traffic to ask that they be next in the Net Control Operators' cue. I emphasize that in the absence of Emergency or Priority traffic for Net Control the field operators APRS transceiver would be left with the profile selection switch in the Center Off position

--

Tom Horne W3TDH

Edited by W3TDH
Left out one item and betrayed by autocorrect.

• Administrator

Tom, I don't throw out compliments easily, but behind that singing voice lies one heck of a clear-minded EMCOMM vision. Those little Byonics seem well thought out. Had not seen them before.

BTW, I agree that making life less exciting for NCS is not a bad thing. After all, it's about the traffic, not the operator.

You might laugh, but in my early EMCOMM days in Canada, for local work, we had both VHF/UHF and a good old pager. That pager would be used to send what we now send via Winlink.

I still don't know what I would do with my extra 10K... still prioritizing.

• 5 months later...

Assuming the stipulation of spending it on ham gear, I would find out how much antenna I could buy for $10,000. My problem would be the size of my lot. Assuming that a tower would need to be small enough that if it fell it would remain within my property lines. Since my lot is only 80 feet wide, the whole assembly need to be no more than 40 feet to the absolute top of the array. Perhaps I'd spend $2,500 on that 80-20meter loop that DXEngineering has. If it knocks the noise level down it would be a big improvement.

• 2 months later...

On 8/4/2020 at 1:32 PM, K3MRI said:

Just curious what people would put on their wishlist if they were given a US $10,000 gift certificate to buy kit or single item to add to their shack? What would you spend it on??

Well there is no such thing as "too many rigs.", however I have what I need.... A 50ft tower (crank up foldover) and stacked tri-banders and a heavy duty rotator, would just about use up that 10 grand... 

Mike K8VA 

On 8/4/2020 at 1:32 PM, K3MRI said:

• Administrator

1 hour ago, K8VA said:

Well there is no such thing as "too many rigs.", however I have what I need.... A 50ft tower (crank up foldover) and stacked tri-banders and a heavy duty rotator, would just about use up that 10 grand... 

Mike K8VA 

Made me think of what I would buy with $10,000. Remember, I live in an apartment... I would buy a plot of land to put up a simple shack, solar powered... a nice couple of masts... Hmm, now that I think about it, what's stopping me?

• 3 months later...

Hey Tom, I like that tent. I've been looking at getting an Ice-fishing cube. I like them because they are wind tested and they're nice and dark making it easy to see readouts. The only hassle is that they're warm. I did try a summer version of them that James (W3JRD) lent me but it did not stand up to Assataeague winds last year. That would actually be my only concern with the SICPS, they're strong but the wind does like them. Love that you're thinking about batteries for the younguns. 

Hmmm. A summer ice-fishing cube. Does it come with pontoons?

• Funny 1