First post by KI5DZU

KI5DZU

Hey Ham Community, this is an automated post on behalf of our new member: KI5DZU,

On behalf of Ham Community, let's give KI5DZU a warm welcome.

KI5DZU, we encourage you to browse around and get to know the Community's many sections. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask, as with all things HAM, we all love to give advice 😎

For everyone's information, KI5DZU joined on the 03/16/20; this is their profile: View Member.

Hey thanks, 

I am a relatively new amateur radio licensee. I live in the central Texas area and I am a really interested in the hobby but lack time and money to play radio the way i'd like. I am a US Army Afghanistan combat vet. I'm currently interested in digital modes and building my HT fleet 😁. I am not an engineer or a science wiz, but I am a determined street kid but I am eager to learn! 

Do everything to the glory of God!

KI5DZU, 73! 

• Administrator

Hey Kyle, welcome aboard. First of all, you'll discover that we have many combat vets on the forum. As for lacking the money, there is nothing more satisfying than getting on the air with minimal expense. I'm one of those guys. I spend hours/days making very cheap, very effective, wire antennas. As for a transceiver, there are some great used radios. One of the safest ways of getting something good is to be in a club and buying from other club members. You might pay more, or you might pay less than online, but at least you're buying from someone you can trust.

If you have any questions about getting up and running, feel free to post. There are plenty of forum categories for specific type discussions, including https://hamcommunity.com/forum/14-deciding-buying/ and https://hamcommunity.com/forum/15-diy-from-scratch-and-kits/

Adding your Military icon now, check your profile.

Jim