Covid-19 (2020) and hamfests...

K3MRI

• Administrator

I'm starting to hear rumors about certain hamfests and the Covid-19 (aka coronavirus). Some hamfests are considering closing. Not sure what my feelings are with this. As with all public health emergencies, caution is critical. But we never shut anything down for the flu and yet every year thousands, tens of thousands in the US and Canada, die.

Thoughts? Anyone considering 'not' going to a hamfest in coming weeks/months because of Covid-19? Anyone avoiding Hamvention? (Full disclosure: Ham Communication currently has booths reserved at Winterfest in Annandale, the Masassas hamfest, and we're in booth 6206 at Hamvention!).

mask woman.jpg

• Club Leadership

This is a timely conversation.  As for Winterfest! March 29th:  It's on!  But as we should, we are consulting with the Fairfax County Health Department  and our venue, the Northern Virginia Community College/Annandale Camputs.  Our website has the following post:  COVID-19 Notice: (a/o 5 Mar 2020)  We are closely following the Coronavirus Issue.  As appropriate, we will post updates.  We do not anticipate any impact to Winterfest!2020 because of this issue, and will follow guidance issued by the Fairfax County Health Department.   See https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/health/novel-coronavirus

Mike

WA8AHZ

Winterfest!2020 Chair

• Thanks 1

• Administrator

Copy and paste from the ARRL site regarding Covid-19:

With Dayton Hamvention® 2020 a little more than 10 weeks away, Hamvention officials say they are closely following the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. Show organizers will post updates as the May 15 – 17 event nears, but they’re optimistic that coronavirus will not be an issue.

“At this time, the Hamvention Executive Committee has been in contact with the Greene County Public Health Department, and we do not anticipate any impact because of this issue,” a March 3 Hamvention statement said. The Greene County Public Health Department reports that no cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Ohio. 

“Greene County Public Health is working closely with the Ohio Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and are prepared to respond, should there be a community spread of COVID-19,” the Hamvention statement noted. “The current risk to the general public is very low. Travel advisories are in effect, and can change anytime, so please see the CDC Travel Advisory webpage before traveling.”

Note that this was posted at the beginning of the month of March. There has been no newer messaging that I know of.

On 3/6/2020 at 4:57 AM, K3MRI said:

But we never shut anything down for the flu and yet every year thousands, tens of thousands in the US and Canada, die.

I just googled this and sadly tens of thousands do die each year from the flu. I was hoping this was an exaggeration.. 

• Administrator

17 hours ago, KC3LUM said:

I just googled this and sadly tens of thousands do die each year from the flu. I was hoping this was an exaggeration.. 

Every time I look at the flu numbers, I freak out...

• Administrator

Regardless of official lockdowns, I'm predicting that amateur radio traffic is going to increase dramatically over the next few weeks as more and more hams are told to work from home. As a result, they'll be, no doubt, spending much of that time transmitting!!

@WA8AHZ - with Gov Northam's declaration of emergency- "Governor Northam is also urging localities and non-profits to limit large public events, effective immediately." https://www.governor.virginia.gov/newsroom/all-releases/2020/march/headline-853537-en.html

Have you changed the status of WinterFest?

73, Bob KN4UUT

• Administrator

10 hours ago, KN4UUT said:

@WA8AHZ - with Gov Northam's declaration of emergency- "Governor Northam is also urging localities and non-profits to limit large public events, effective immediately." https://www.governor.virginia.gov/newsroom/all-releases/2020/march/headline-853537-en.html

Have you changed the status of WinterFest?

73, Bob KN4UUT

Hi Bob,

I had a couple of email exchanges with WF. I believe that they'll be announcing something shortly. I'll let them make the announcement...

In other news, I'm going to go set up somewhere during this whole period and do some portable, remote, off grid operating. Heck, if there ever was a time to do it, it's now!! Oh, right, I'm also going to build a 2m uda-yagi I've been meaning to build for a while...

• Administrator

I assume that everyone has heard... Hamvention 2020 is CANCELLED due to Covid-19.

https://hamvention.org/committee-cancels-hamvention-2020/

• 2 weeks later...