CW learning software - all platforms

K3MRI

• Administrators

ELMER

A new ham asked me to recommend the best software to learn CW . It struck me that there are options on Mac, on PC, on iOS, on Android, and obviously on the web.

spacer.pngI'm curious to see which software solution you think is the best, or maybe at most the top three, to learn CW. Note that, personally, I believe that the best solution needs to lean more towards learning to copy CW. Most people can learn the actual morse alphabet, and learn to send it, rather easily. What seems to block people more is their ability to copy, especially over 5 WPM.

Thoughts on Mac, PC, iOS, Android, or web CW learning software? (I'll add the recommendations in the links directory – you can add them too 😉)

• Administrators

ELMER
52 minutes ago, WB4KFO said:

I like W1AW transmissions.

Good one Bill. Forgot about W1AW. I still think, correct me if I'm wrong, that it's useful to have a local tool with which to practice. Thoughts?

4 hours ago, K3MRI said:

Good one Bill. Forgot about W1AW. I still think, correct me if I'm wrong, that it's useful to have a local tool with which to practice. Thoughts?

They could buy a hf transceiver then they would HAVE to get a license.  No turning back now.  The W1AW code practice has convenient stepping stones,5, 71/2, 10 wpm.  You just have to copy and copy and copy.  It's like learning a musical instrument.  If you can copy QSOs, it's a great encouragement.  We had an old World War II code machine in our radio club back in high school.  It was the typical olive green and ran paper tapes.  Build your own code oscillator and take turns back and forth with another student.  A computer was something you put IBM punch cards into.

Edited by WB4KFO

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

I have found Morse Mania to be a useful iOS app for learning the code. It gives one a steady piecemeal education using Farnsworth methods. It starts with letters, then adds number and punctuation. There are modules for proSigns and Q-codes, along with a module for words and call signs. Only thing they don’t cover that I have noticed is an introduction to CW QSO’s.

Definitely worth a look.

Chris

• Agree | Support 1