Christmas gifts

K3MRI

• Administrator

Every year it's the same thing, someone who knows a ham asks me if I have any ideas on what to gift. I noticed that DX Engineering even produced a video giving suggestions. It's a tough one. For instance, their first suggestion was a headset. Well, if you don't know the exact radio, and most non-hams won't, then you will possibly buy a headset with the wrong mic or adapter. A book? Tough one also. I actually believe that buying something for a ham, as a non-ham, is likely one of the hardest tasks. I'm curious if anyone has any advice. Did I mention that I am a Ham and that Christmas is coming up?? 😃

robot-with-gift-box_GJvSt3R_.jpg

• Administrator

3 hours ago, WA2WMR said:

Don't try to buy a gift for the ham; buy a gift for the person.

I know what you're saying, and I agree. But you know how it is, people want to buy something that means something to their significant other. My weirdest gift ever was from a distant cousin who thought I was six when I was eighteen and gave me gifts for a six year old at Christmas. I had never met him...

• 2 weeks later...

Gift cards - the more, the merrier. I am saving mine as long as they don't expire. My best buy was at a hamfest where I got a good used/refurbished analog rotator controller with a $40 gift card. Some day I may be able to afford an expensive digital model.

• Administrator

So, here's the thing with gift cards. I love them, that was until I found out that people actually don't use them. Some crazy number of gift cards are left unused every year allowing the store to keep the money. I realize it's not their fault, that it's more the fault of the recipient... I wish there was. a better way. The ideal would be that you - the buyer of the gift card - don't get charged until the gift card is actually used. Right, like that'll ever happen 😫 In any case, who am I to complain, I bought a few cards myself this year!!

• 2 months later...

On 12/27/2019 at 9:29 PM, WA4ZIZ said:

... as long as they don't expire.

That's exactly what the issuer is counting on. It's just like flexible spending accounts. The government tries to make it sound like they are being benevolent, but is making a windfall from people who don't use it up.

• Like | Congratulations 1