PMON - a PACTOR® Monitoring Utility for Linux

KD4UBM

https://www.p4dragon.com/en/PMON.html

This is a nice gesture, but does not resolve the issue.

If they released the source code or published material such that anyone else could write software to demodulate and decode the signal, then PACTOR would have a place on the amateur radio bands.

Until then, it's a closed/proprietary/private signal and it has no place in amateur radio.

John

• Administrator

In the spirit of open communications, I agree with you 100%. That's the very essence of Ham radio, regardless of Part 97, it's about being open to all to use without coded messaging of any kind. This said, as an expedition junkie, the ability to send email over HF is extraordinary. Personally, I would have no problem with the transmission being intercepted, after all, they can intercept my voice on SSB. In short, I'd like the ability to send open email, but to send it. So we need a compromise. Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, K3MRI said:

In short, I'd like the ability to send open email, but to send it. So we need a compromise. Thoughts?

You're welcome to send email using any signal you want so long as the signal modulation and encoding are documented such that anyone can build a demodulator and decoder for it.

If the source code for the modem is available, then the modem is usable on amateur radio frequencies. Pick any mode you want from FLDIGI and you're good.

John

Edited by KD4UBM
  • Thanks 1

• Administrator

1 minute ago, KD4UBM said:

You're welcome to send email using an signal you want so long as the signal modulation and encoding are documented such that anyone can build a demodulator and decoder for it.

If the source code for the modem is available, then the modem is usable on amateur radio frequencies. Pick any mode you want from FLDIGI and you're good.

John

We agree!!