Self-deploy?

K3MRI

Self-Deploy?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should HAMs self-deploy to an emergency?

• Never self-deploy anywhere
    • Self-deploy anywhere
    • Self-deploy within one's own region
    • Self-deploy but never alone, only as a team

• Elmers
ELMER

Jim K3MRI

Yes that is exactly what I had in mind. It avoids the bad reactions that deploying into the operational area engender and yet makes those who do so the nearest resource of it's kind. The objective in preparing to do this would be in assembling a team with a truly diverse set of skills to provide the widest range of capabilities. Each offered service would have to have two fully qualified lead operators. One or both of them would have to cross train the remainder of the team in how to support the deployment of that resource to the affected area as needed.

Emergency Management is now talking about fuel for generators and operating grocery stores as community lifelines.

One example of a very supportive deliverable would be to provide basic connectivity so that electronic payment could be available for buying such necessities. An inexpensive long range wireless connection out of the quieted area would be one way to be a lot of help. We connect the EOC 1st, Hospital 2nd, Grocery 3rd, bank branch 4th, and then connect one or more otherwise operational fuel stations...

I don't know how to find my way around in an IP stack nor program a IP network. But I can take a laptop, network transceivers, antennas, and support to some effective point. I could install the transceiver antenna support. You have to be able to keep the antennas aimed without attendance. And then aim the antennas at the other points to be served, and adjust them until the software likes the signal.

I could do that to as many points of use as were wanted by the officials in situ without messing with any ARES or other services engaged in direct radio support. I cannot imagine a hospital not wanting to have at least basic email service restored nor an EOC for that matter. And if what is needed is to install some basic alarm transmission path between the fire alarm dispatch office and fire stations those same techniques would work there as well. We would certainly need 2 or more operators who could program and control the network but those of us who had cross trained on the node installation tasks would be real force multipliers to that effort. That is just one example.

Imagine how welcome a transportable repeater and a mast to get it's antenna 50 feet above whatever it was sitting on might be. We would need to be able to set that mast up on different types of surfaces even if that involved a star drill and a 5 pound drilling hammer.

[Side Note: "So John Henry say to the shaker. Now shaker you better pray. Cause I'm swinging 20 pounds from my hips on down, if I miss twill be your burying day! If I miss twill be your burying day!" The shaker pulled a  wooden toggle handle on the end of a leather thong wrapped around the  drill bit so it would turn and shook the bit between blows to bring the chips out of the hole. the shaker often worked crouching in the face of the tunnel with the driller back far enough to get a good swing. They drilled holes were the blasters needed them and when the fuse was lit the blaster would shout "Fire in the hole!"]

--

Tom Horne W3TDH

• Agree | Support 1

• Administrators
ELMER

Loving where this is going. We need to think and talk this over and then see if there would be a viable funding opportunity and implementation roadmap. Will revert with more thoughts.
As for the fire in the hole...😎