Software and web resources for logging and QSLing

AK4AO

• Club Leadership

I will give a short presentation on the subject topic at the VWS meeting on Friday, September 27.  You can get an advance look by downloading my slides from http://viennawireless.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Ham-Radio-Logging.pdf

Please respond to this post with your questions, comments, and requests for future club activities related to this topic.  Want to learn how to

- get started on ARRL's Logbook of the World?

- configure N1MM+ for a contest?

- track award progress in DXKeeper?

Let us know!

Doug

AK4AO

It would be interesting to take a poll to see what other VWS members are using for logging software.

Years ago I surveyed the various options and tried several, finally settling on Log4OM. While Windows only (no Linux) and currently in maintenance mode while the authors work on a complete revamp, I've found that it integrates very well [LoTW, QRZ.com, FLDigi, rig control, antenna rotors, DX clusters, etc] and is extremely feature packed [award tracking, contest logging, SQL log querying, QSL management, etc]. For serious contesting, I ditch it and use N1MM but otherwise it exceeds my needs.

Mike

• Like | Congratulations 2

• Administrator

This sounds like an excellent topic and thanks for the slides, very good overview. Will you be taping this session? It's the type of helpful and essential topic that should be available to all club members and the community at large. I personally have started to use N1MM for contests but, I agree with your slide, it's rather complex. I think that my next foray will be into LoTW. Contest logging is actually new to me, I've been logging on paper for 50 years!

• Club Leadership

Yes.  You can view the session in real time or later via the livestream.  The link is on the blog and will also be added to the Presentations database on the web site.  On the web site go to Meetings->Presentations, and you will find everything we have about a presentation:  video links, slides, etc.  I try to get my slides posted in advance of the presentation so that anyone who watches via the livestream can have a copy.

N1MM setup would be a good topic for a workshop if we have some folks who are interested.  Getting on LoTW would be another possible topic, but their security process requires two sessions to get on: one to make the request, and a second to actually get on after they send a postcard to your FCC database address.

Also... All of the VWS presentations are available to everyone unless there is some reason to restrict them.  Some of our videos have thousands of views.

• Club Leadership

Mike,

I think you did everything right in picking a logging package.  You thought through what features you need and might want in the future; you looked at how the logger would interface with other components; you tried it out, liked it, set it up, and got back on the air. 

I also believe that for contesting, you need a contesting logger.  You can download the contacts into your master log later.  

You noted that many solutions are part of a suite that goes well beyond just logging:  award tracking, rotor control, integration with spotting sites, etc. are all things important to some but not to everyone.  The goal should be to find a solution that covers what you need, get it going, and get back to operating!

The fact that you and I landed on different solutions just illustrates that there's more than one very good product out there.  

Thanks for posting.

Doug

Ham Mega Pad (XXXL)

Ham Word Cloud Pad (XL)

Ham Codes, Signs, Words (Medium)

Ham Band Edges mousepad (Small)

Ham Alliance

Ham Alliance - Billboard - 970*250px