Radio Check Day, 9 Oct 1200-1400

WA8AHZ

• Club Leadership

Today's Radio Check Day will run from 1200-1400, and the purpose is for MCM Amateur Radio Operators (AROs) to test their race day radios for operational capability. 

It is accomplished on the Federal holiday to allow AROs to locate near their assigned locations, and scope out routes in the daylight.  Given we don't have our assignments yet, we're expecting AROs will attempt to test their radios from home, or possibility from one of the (taller) roof top parking decks in/around the area.  Other spots to locate are on the National Mall, Potomac Park in DC, or one of the many parks in Arlington.  Please stay away from using your radios on the Pentagon Reservation, or in Arlington National Cemetery

We will NOT be using tactical call signs; just our given FCC assigned call signs.

This is a simple test.  Net Control will be operating using our given call signs, and identify as net control for purposes of radio discipline. We will use "directed net" procedures. We will start calling at 1200 on one of repeaters:  -- ECHO, HOTEL and KILO.  We'll wrap up at 1400 and expect to be off the air by 1530 at the latest.

Try any (or all) of these primary repeaters to test your radio.  The Race Net Operators will be directing groups of you to move to the secondary repeaters (for further testing), so if you don't hear anything on the primary channel wait a few minutes, and we'll be back on the Primary channel to take the next group of AROs to the secondary channels.  It is very unlikely you'll be able to hit all 11 repeaters from any one location.  Just find a primary channel and we'll meet up with you.  

We will use standard net procedures, and remember, when identifying yourself, identify the station you're calling first, followed by your call ("you, this is me")

If you are out and about, play it safe.  Law Enforcement will be advised of our activity, but expect them, and others to be curious about what a bunch of guys (and gals) are doing talking on walkie-talkies on the street corners.    Recruit a new wave of Hams if you have the chance.  

Qs:  text at 703 870-1730

Mike, WA8AHZ 

Radio Test Day Coordinator

Sorry that the assignment listing didn't get finished in time to support this event.  The swirl surrounding the inability/unwillingness of volunteers to properly sign up at both MC and HC sites delayed completion of the assignment process.  We now have a viable baseline assignment set, from which we will now proceed tactically to maintain.  Files will follow later today.

Any comments after the test today? Were there many check ins? People use HT’s or other radios and at what power levels? I am testing an ic 705 at 10 watts into a Nagoya whip with 3 radials under it. I had no contact on any net other than some below noise level contact on Echo at mile marker 2. I had no contact on any net at mile marker 9, 11 and 24. So if HT’s were able to check in, I’ve may have an antenna/power issue Or programming problem but I was able to hit echo after our 2m club net from my Falls Church QTH with this rig. Anyway would like to hear how check ins went and would enjoy another chance to test. 
Dan KD0MMF 

8 watts HT with Nagoya NA771 whip and rat tail antenna and my open stub J Pole worked at East Potomac Park (between MM 14 AND 15) and Long Bridge Park (near MM 22) worked for me on E, F, G, and L.  Kilo did not seem to be working today.  

• Club Leadership

ALL: 

Thanks to all you all* who checked their radios today during the RADIO CHECK DAY.  We did capture a couple non-MCM Ham Volunteers, who were somewhat confused w/ our use of tactical frequency.  Some for the After Action Report. 

One issue to resolve:  the W3DCA repeater was apparently offline today, and KILO is the primary repeater for RACE NET C.  Of course, if we lose any of the nnine repeaters on Race day, we'll assign one of the spare repeaters (NOVEMBER, OSCAR) in its place. 

We  also validated both spare repeaters, and the repeaters used for the MEDNET are operational.  

Mike, WA8AHZ

Don, KM4DC

Darwin, K4HAX

Net Control Operators, RADIO CHECK DAY

*Total checkins:  29 Hams

• Like | Congratulations 1

On 10/9/2023 at 12:12 PM, K7BC said:

Sorry that the assignment listing didn't get finished in time to support this event.  The swirl surrounding the inability/unwillingness of volunteers to properly sign up at both MC and HC sites delayed completion of the assignment process.  We now have a viable baseline assignment set, from which we will now proceed tactically to maintain.  Files will follow later today.

Where can I find the assignment list?

On 10/15/2023 at 9:01 AM, KN4SYO said:

Where can I find the assignment list?

See here: Go to HamCommunity.com

Then browse to: Ham Volunteers -> Public Service -> Sporting Events -> MCM 2023

Edited by NF5E

• KN4RPA unpinned this topic

Ham Mega Pad (XXXL)

Ham Word Cloud Pad (XL)

Ham Codes, Signs, Words (Medium)

Ham Band Edges mousepad (Small)

Ham Alliance