Secrets to a great ragchew net?

K3MRI

• Administrator

I've always wondered what the secrets to a great ragchew net are. Net control gets on and calls for checkins... so what does it take to have a critical mass of operators and keep the net alive for years. Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

He really was. So the secret is that you need a retired, passionate, intelligent, broad minded anchor!! Someone who is there often and happily so.

I’m sure I’m not the only one: the other day, no more than a month ago, I called AA4ZS!!!

• 1 month later...

Back when he was alive, if he didn't call the CW round table, I would and many times it was just a matter of him oversleeping and he would come check in while I ran it. (After Tom died, he and I would be the only ones there unless Dave joined in). Now, when I call the round table, it's sad knowing he won't be there. However, Bill is now a regular. That makes it all worth while.

• 3 years later...

Now if we could get our weekly club net to have more than just check-ins and a couple of shack reports, that would be great.

I was net control last week and put out a question but only got 3 replies. 

Seems that most of the folks checking in only want to hear the ARRL news and that is it.

I am told that the net has grown in the past year or two, but I would like to see it become more interactive.

Any thoughts?

Bob KD9TGU

• Administrator

Hey Bob. You ask the quintessentially most frustrating question, how to get a net going, and then how to keep it alive. I cannot give you an answer as to the how you can succeed, but I can tell you what I have seen to work over the years.

Frankly, the only time I have seen a weekly net work is when the repeater is busy all week long. Busy repeaters tend to equate with a busy weekly net. People rarely swarm a weekly net when that's all that's happening on the frequency. Now, one might ask, how do you get people to keep a repeater ultra busy? That's where I have seen the one and only successful ingredient: an anchor. A repeater needs that one retired guy, or gal, who's always 'there'. Or, if not always, at least for extended periods of time on any given day. At K4US, we used to have Frank (SK). Frank, AA4ZS, would be there every single day from ±1500 to 1700 which he called the 'witching' hour. It was actually when he had to get off to get his meds and then have dinner. On the local MARC repeater in MD, there are a couple including Vince; always there to answer the call and engage on any topic. Do traffic nets work? Weather nets? Question nets? Kinda, sorta, IF, and only IF, there is, as mentioned, ongoing activity.

Open to hearing other opinions, but for me, in the VHF/UHF realm, that's the answer.

HF nets? That's a different story.... The magic ingredients are different.

Not sure if this helps 😇