POTA in Northern Ontario

WA3LTJ

• Elmer

A successful POTA activation at White Bear Forest Conservation Reserve (VE-1702). Apparently, I am the first to activate this park. Conditions were very good on 20m. The noise level in the park was near zero. My 5W SSB signal was good enough for Florida, Delaware, Texas, Utah and states in between. 

Photo 3.jpg

• Wow | Cool 1

• Elmer

Today's activation was more difficult. It was on a road used to bring boats to a lake. There was zero shade and few clouds. It was not too hot in the shade, but I worried the rig would overheat in the sun. Fortunate, the little radio did well. Skip was very short on 20m SSB at first. After 14 QSOs, I switched to FT8. FT8 was difficult with the sun on the laptop screen, 5W and an error in the POTA configuration of FT8. (FT8 is not POTA friendly).  I did about the same number of FT8 QSOs. The skip was lengthening out by then. Here is the plot of stations worked. Note, like the previous Canadian park, this park has not been activated in the past.

VE-0422 1 Aug 2023.jpg

• Wow | Cool 1

• Elmer

I have been wanted to write an article on why I have three POTA stations. One requires a car and uses the loop antenna. The rig is the FTDX-10. The loop is very efficient and the rig is no-compromise. The FT-891 lives in British Columbia. It and the 20 Ah battery require a very tall backpack for the taller mast and heavier rig. It uses a SOTAbeam 40/20m antenna. The Northern Ontario trip uses my new, smaller station. The rig is a RS-958B HF SDR radio. It is a variant of the RS-918, shown below. It is shockingly small and equally good performer. It can produce 15W (PEP), but it is really a clean signal at 5W. The spectrum is not bad at 8W. Those powers presume 13+ volts at the battery. Maximum power drops as the voltage drops. Around 9 volts you are near half power. My radio has a built-in battery, plus I carry a 5 Ah LiFePO4. Between the smaller radio, smaller battery and the more compact SOTAbeams mast, the station fits a standard backpack with room for water, lunch, bug spray, first aid kit, and even a change of clothes.  It is carry-on luggage for air travel. I carry two antennas: the SOTAbeams 40/20 and my imitation SOTAbeams 30m dipole. Today I ran a test and got both antennas working on the same mast. 

So, the short answer is the 5W station fits in the backpack portion of carry-on luggage. 

RS-918.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Administrator

I will look at the radio specs later in the day but for now, with my first coffee in hand, let me say that that is one good looking little radio. Simple but quite appealing!