A Ham in Her Own Right

NS7X

• Administrator

Ouch, you dropped a big question in a tiny sentence... Well done. Okay, this is going to take a very long think and response, on my part anyway. But I will say this, I am already amazed that it is 3/20, that means 15%! I honestly thought that it was less. But as to the why, to be continued... later today or in the coming couple...

Edited after the initial post 

Posted:

Aslo, after a couple of responses, I am definitely moving this topic to the front page picks!!

Thanks, Jim, for your kind words.  I'm anxious to read your comments.  As you pointed out, the answer to my query is rather complex. 
When I first pondered it, I assumed the answers would be somewhat obvious.  (I say answers because clearly there is more than one solution to this equation, as it were.)  But the more I think about it, the more obscure explanations become.  

• Administrator

I’m back.

Let’s start by eliminating the obvious, misguided, antiquated excuses.

No, it’s not about STEM. Though not where we need to be, over the past few decades, women have made significant strides in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). There have been substantial increases in the number of women earning degrees in these fields. While still underrepresented in certain disciplines like computer science and engineering, women now earn over half of the bachelor's degrees in biological and physical sciences. Prominent women have also increasingly held leadership roles in STEM, such as CEOs of tech companies, heads of research institutions, and policy leaders. Female scientists and engineers have been receiving greater recognition for their contributions, including prestigious awards like the Nobel Prize.

Some might argue that it has to do with traditional stereotypes assigned to initially male-assigned hobbies. If that were the case, then equestrian sports, fencing, and now soccer would be male-only or mostly. I know for a fact that dressage and jumping have become female dominated. Admittedly, transition is necessary. Why is the transition to female parity, or at least partial representation, has not occurred? Interestingly, in another thread, a comment is made about how ARRL, and likely the other national organizations worldwide, remain dominated by men who continue to steer their organization in a direction that reflects this stagnant image (https://hamcommunity.com/topic/2521-what-are-the-compliments-or-complaints-for-or-against-the-arrl/?do=findComment&comment=5684&_rid=1).

I would argue that we are at an inflection point that requires the achievement of critical mass. As you know, critical mass is a concept in sociology that refers to the smallest possible size or amount that an initiative, movement, or action needs to continue on its own or achieve a specific result. Essentially, once the "critical mass" is reached, a certain phenomenon becomes self-sustaining or self-perpetuating. The term is borrowed from physics, where it refers to the smallest amount of fissile material needed to maintain a nuclear chain reaction. In the social sciences, it's often used to describe the point at which social behavior or trends become widespread or mainstream. For instance, the adoption of a new technology could depend on reaching a critical mass of users for the technology to be successful and sustainable. 

How do we achieve a critical mass of women in amateur radio? Here’s an idea… a woman at the helm of ARRL. Here’s another… SOTA… I’m serious. A study from the Outdoor Foundation reported that in the U.S., roughly half of outdoor participants were female. Why not let those hikers know that they can add a cool practice - amateur radio - to a practice they already love - hiking. How about cars, especially off-road vehicles? Though men were traditionally the buyers of off-road vehicles, by far, the trend has changed. The evidence remains anectodal but documented. Women are the driving force behind off-road vehicles (not urban-oriented SUVs but genuine off-road vehicles). Reach out to them and associate their activity with the benefits and fun of amateur radio.

In short, and in conclusion, more than anything we have an image problem, not an interest or capacity problem. Modern women are as technical and outdoors and geeky as men. But they see Amateur Radio for what it is, currently, an old white man’s sport. They don’t see the relation to their modern, technical, ambitious, busy lives. This image can be changed, if the powers that be choose to. BTW, I face this issue at home. My wife is capable, smart, accomplished… probably more so than me, and I kid not. My daughters are also the same, one being a very successful attorney with, wait for it, a passion for statistics! Ask any of the three why they are not attracted to ham radio, and the answer is universal… they see it as an activity for old men. Who can blame them? When I take them to a hamfest they play a game: “Let’s count the women or the younger than 50!”

Last point is about marketing. Manufacturers… target women! Target diversity! Create a space for women! Oh, right, and please do so without the usual, low-brow separative messaging. It’s not about women vs. men. It’s not about pink vs. blue. It’s about inclusiveness. Take a lesson from our military. The military succeeded in growing women’s numbers dramatically. We’ve gone from under 5% during the Vietnam era - mostly in traditional roles e.g. nursing, administration, etc. - to now approaching 20% including flying fighters and finally now becoming a Chief of Staff (Admiral Franchetti, Navy).

Let’s continue the discussion and, who knows, maybe we’ll shift the needle…

Also, if anyone has a nice photo that I can use to illustrate this article, please post it so that I can promote this article to the front page!

Women have always been a significant minority in all things ham radio.  But, historically, those women who joined the ranks of amateur radio operators in the olden days were impressive operators in their own right.  For example, many were employed in the merchant marine service as the radio operator on board ocean going vessels in the days when a woman on board ship was a rarity. 

From the early days, women have proven themselves to be gifted CW operators, and have earned their place of honor amongst the best of the best radio operators.

Today, after 100 plus years of radio history, and 50 or so years of "women's liberation," women are still relatively unusual among the ranks of ham radio operators.  Yet, there are YL's doing extraordinary things and like their fore-grandmothers, they are rare.  (Look up K2EZ on QRZ.com if you doubt me.)

So, the question yet remains, why is it so few women become YL's when they tend to just not only have the natural gift to operate a radio, but also have the innate talent to outshine their male counterparts?

YL op.jpg

• Confused 1

I think your SOTA idea may have some merit.  I also think we really need more YL instructors and VE's.  So many women become licensed in order to placate their OM, and have little to no interest in ham radio.  When they take a class, it's usually taught by a man who has little to no understanding of the rich legacy our licensed grandmothers left us, nor do they have a clue how women tend to process technical material.  (For example, although I never took a ham radio class, I had difficulty with the novice and general class material because so much of it was, "Just trust us on this one because that's the way it is."  When I got to the advanced/extra class material, I found it much easier because there was a lot more of "this is why it works" curriculum.)  I think if more YL's taught classes, these women would have a much better feel for how they can "fit in" in the ham world.  Trust me on this one, once they figure that out, there'll be no stopping them.

When I was first licensed in 1978, ham radio was well-populated mostly by old gray-haired geezers.  Much of the "How to Save Ham Radio" discussions in those days consisted of how do we attract young hams.  Well, 45 years later, I'm one of the old geezers, and we're still having the same discussion.  I'm sorry your family has such a poor opinion of the fossil crowd.  Over my decades as a ham, I have met some fascinating individuals - most of them men and many of them gray-haired - and I have formed some incredible friendships.  Like you said, it isn't about pink vs blue. It's about CW vs SSB - Just sayin'.

• Agree | Support 1

• Administrator

Excellent points MaryAnn. I love your idea of more women instructors and VEs. Of the two, instructors are really key. Well, here is a call on my part. Ham Community would welcome the addition of a woman instructor who would want to develop a course, with Ham Community. I would love a woman-led curriculum. And notice I say woman-led as opposed to exclusively for women. The reason for this is, as with many things, the need for male education. We need to educate our male friends to incite women to join the hobby not to, as you rightly say, placate them, but to join an exciting hobby.

So I have a home challenge that could be a litmus test. My wife, simply put, is not interested. My approach has been to suggest the benefits for when we are RVing off grid starting in three years when she retires. To my credit, we have moved from a 'never' to a 'we'll see...'

I would love to hear stories from either women or men who have either joined the hobby (the women) or those who have helped or simply experienced the journey taken by women joining (in this case the men's viewpoint).

I'll conclude this post by saying that I look forward to the day where hearing a woman's voice on SSB - sorry MaryAnn 😁 - will not be a novelty but rather just another QSO.

As a matter of full disclosure,  I've been collecting opinions, ideas, and general thoughts about YL's as hams for an ARRL Rocky Mountain Division Convention forum entitled "A Ham in Her Own Right."  I'll be holding the forum on August 12 in Albuquerque, NM.  I am hopeful that this forum will serve to encourage YL's to become more active and more confident as ham radio operators.  

Wish me luck.    

• Wow | Cool 1

• Administrator

Not only do I wish you luck but also... will you be taping the talk? Please say yes and that we can post it. Also, let me know if there is anything I can do. Getting women, lonely seniors, minorities, the disabled, veterans, etc. into the fold is a core function I would love to develop. In an era of social isolation, amateur radio acts as a reliable bridge to the outside.

BREAK A LEG!!!

🤗🫶

Thanks, Jim.  The forum will be less of a talk and more of a round table discussion.  I have no plans to record it.  I'm just hopeful that I get about 20 warm bodies to attend.  I anticipate those who attend will have a grand time, make a few friendships, and feel a little more confident about their skills.

• Unfortunate | Sad | Too bad 1

• Administrator

5 hours ago, NS7X said:

Thanks, Jim.  The forum will be less of a talk and more of a round table discussion.  I have no plans to record it.  I'm just hopeful that I get about 20 warm bodies to attend.  I anticipate those who attend will have a grand time, make a few friendships, and feel a little more confident about their skills.

Sad I won't get to hear it, but super happy you're doing this!!

• 4 weeks later...

The following is from my own experience.

I have a family member that was born during WW2. This persons father enjoyed short wave listening and wanted to become a ham. The family member has always wanted to become a ham, as she was interested in what she heard. She reminisces of fascinating stories and conversations about their employment, language, living conditions, and other comments they would bring forth. She enjoyed hearing that a number of these stations were from around the world and she would look them up on the map to find out their locations. To this day, this person still talks about it, has had the Tech Book (current test) multiple time, but many factors have held her back. When they join me at hamfest, they enjoy the experience of talking to so many people from around the world , and find people with the same interest. I agree that for this person, having other females teaching it, and more for her current age, she may obtain her license.

The second experience is my daughter. Since I took the kids to many of the ham radio activities and hamfest (selling behind a booth), at their early age they were gun ho to get their ticket like dad. (2 out of the three got their tickets at 10y/o) I got her YL membership that she kept untill recently. Does she operate, yes only VHF~ UHF and once in a blue moon. She is enthused and studying to get her General since there has been a challenge to her fiance to get his Tech license. She does know the importance of ham radio, and in her prior job with a local hospital, the (then) director of "Environment Care" (fancy name for facility manager) had a call out for Amateur Radio Op's, because his hospital was the only one with out a Station and people to use it. The other affiliated hospitals didand had a weekly net. She let me know that she had applied. Unfortunately the Gentleman has retired and she is at a new job. One thing that has bothered her is when she took her brother to take his Tech test at Hamvention (I was behind the booth selling) they asked her if she was his mom. That really got to her, to the point that she did not want to have anything to do with ham radio. In that same convention, unfortunately we have degenerate people saying inappropriate sexual comments to her and about her. Other than this, she had meet several women in the ham radio world that she would get a boost from to continiue. Her favorite experience was some folks that would bring their musical instruments to hamvention and jam to some tunes. The following year she joned in with Ukulele.

Currently here in town we have more than 20 women with Ham License. Two to four check into our ARES net frequently. Two of them were actually questioning each other why they did not talk on the air. One was replying of making mistakes and terminology scared her and not wanting to do errors on the air. I find that not only youth, but many people are fearful of making mistakes, and this has kept some from getting their license or if they have a license, making mistakes on the air. Unfortunately I have heard to many Old Timers barking at them and that is the end of their time on Ham Radio.

Edited by KP4CI

• 5 weeks later...

Follow up on the "Ham in Her Own Right" forum at the Mountain Division ARRL Convention held in Albuquerque last August (gosh, has it already been that long ago?)

Although the turn-out was small, I think the results were huge.  I've noticed that several of the YL's who attended have had a higher on-air profile than they had previously.  I've noticed that locally, YL's are now using "33" with each other instead of the "73" standard.  And I know of at least one YL who has become a VE,  - YES!

Here are my conclusions:

First, YL's who are left to their own devices tend to become fantastic operators.  The ones who don't succeed are often the ones that have a "helpful" OM hovering over their shoulder commenting on every thing the YL does on the air.  These YL's learn to be fearful that anything they do on the air may invite an unwanted and unsolicited "correction." 

Second, K3MRI is right.  The way to a YL's heart is through POTA.  There's lots and lots of YL activity on POTA, and the ladies are having one heck of a good time.

Third, we need more YL instructors and VE's.  As much as I love and respect the OM's in my life, if truth be told, YL's see things a little bit differently and having a YL instructor and/or VE can make a big difference to a newly licensed YL.

Finally, I strongly believe that YL's who receive a little encouragement, who have someone they can ask an occasional question of, and who enjoy a fellow ham who respects their abiiity will be "A Ham in Her Own Right."