Car vs. public transport

K3MRI

• Administrator

I'm wondering what volunteers have done in the past, drive, be driven, or take public transport? I can see advantages and disadvantages with each, not least of which is that there is no public transport at muster time and getting back after the event can be crowded. But then again, parking and driving back is not the easiest either.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

K3MRI
This post was recognized by K3MRI!

"Great advice"

N6ITG was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

Parking and driving back can be easy or hell depending on the assignment.  Last couple marathons I've worked in Crystal City and have ended up parking in places where I was trapped for an hr or two after the runners (mostly because of clean-up crews and police clearing stuff blocking the roads for the runners), I just went and ate, came back and drove off.  Other times in Crystal City, the police were just blocking the roads w/ squad cars and I could leave within a few minutes.

I've also worked on the 14th St bridge, after the the rear pace vehicle, just walked back to my car and drove home.

Rock Creek Park was a bit more of a pain because I had to come home by way of the Legion Bridge (I live in Alexandria).

To me the worst assignment was Hains Point because I had to transport my stuff like a mile from the parking lot to my position and since it was a one way street, once people (people involved in other volunteer activities for the Marathon were also parked there) got to their cars, we had to wait for the the road coming back up from the Point to no longer be part of the course before we were able to drive off.

I've known people who volunteered for the Marathon who got a ride to their position which was near a metro line and when done, caught the metro home w/o issue.

Key is to scout your position prior to the Marathon, I think they put the mile marker paint down before Columbus Day weekend so you can go out, find the exact position where the mile markers will be (make sure to read the numbers painted-both mile marker and marathon number because there are usually marks for multiple yrs in the same area).

• Agree | Support 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

My own story is one of an argument with a street vendor near MM18, which that year was near the Holocaust Museum. I parked there at about 4AM, there being 'his' spot, apparently. I was actually very willing to move because there was plenty of space, but even so, boy did I get an earful. I let it ride without argument and just moved the car, but just so as you know... parking on a Marathon can be the stuff of anecdotal humor.

As you and N6ITG said, it all depends...

Make sure to do a site survey well in advance. You could be there for the duration if you are at or near the lockdown points. If you are in an area that might let you sneak out, you might get caught up in road closures that direct you away from where you want to be (and if you don't know your way around DC, you might find yourself in Maryland or Virginia when you want to be somewhere else). Bring a book, snacks, and your patience, and you will be rewarded (or at least comfortable - OK, Mile 25 is never comfortable).

• Agree | Support 1
  • Like | Congratulations 1

• Administrator

2 hours ago, KG4GIY said:

Bring a book, snacks, and your patience, and you will be rewarded (or at least comfortable - OK, Mile 25 is never comfortable).

Excellent advice!

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first time volunteering to support the marathon and, unless it's not allowed, I plan to arrive by bike. I imagine it will be easier to head out after the assignment wraps up, even if the area is still busy. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on bringing bicycles to assignment locations?

• Wow | Cool 1

• Administrator

On 8/16/2023 at 3:32 PM, W6DVL said:

This is my first time volunteering to support the marathon and, unless it's not allowed, I plan to arrive by bike. I imagine it will be easier to head out after the assignment wraps up, even if the area is still busy. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on bringing bicycles to assignment locations?

You'll be fine. I've done it. Just lock it up and make sure it's not where there will be too many spectators.

• Like | Congratulations 1

Ham Mega Pad (XXXL)

Ham Word Cloud Pad (XL)

Ham Codes, Signs, Words (Medium)

Ham Band Edges mousepad (Small)

Ham Alliance

Ham Alliance - Billboard - 970*250px