What are your thoughts on N1MM?

K3MRI

• Administrator

N1MM, as we all know, is well-regarded by many amateur radio operators for its extensive features, ease of use, and frequent updates. It is particularly popular among contesters and DXers. The software is free to use, which is another reason for its wide adoption.

Some of the positive aspects people appreciate about N1MM Logger include:

1. Extensive feature set: N1MM Logger supports a wide range of contest types and radio protocols. It provides an array of tools and functions for logging, tracking, and analyzing contacts.
2. Customization: The software is highly customizable, allowing users to tailor it to their needs and preferences.
3. Active development and support: The developers are active in the community, providing regular updates and addressing user feedback. The user community is also a valuable resource for support and advice.
4. Integration with other software: N1MM Logger can integrate with various other applications and services, such as CW skimmers, digital mode software, and online log submission platforms.

However, some operators may find the software challenging to set up and configure, especially if they are new to amateur radio or contest logging. Additionally, since it is a Windows-based application, users who prefer other operating systems might have to use emulation software or search for alternative logging applications.

Overall, N1MM Logger is widely considered a powerful and reliable logging application for amateur radio operators, though its ease of use and compatibility may vary depending on the user's experience and preferences.

Currently, my field day team uses it, though I have used others in the past.

What about you all, what are your thoughts on N1MM?

N1MM logger.png

• Elmer

I used it a lot for Field Day. It works well unless the network is broken. When I tried to set it up myself, I ran into problems using it for FT8.  It did not work well at all for POTA. Maybe there is a new configuration file now, but the old N1MM POTA configuration file was for the ARRL Parks on the air, which has different logging. I have moved to HAMRS. It is designed for POTA and works well. 

• 4 weeks later...

I use N1MM+ for contests and special events.  I find it an amazing piece of software, and believe that we hams are lucky to have it.  And it is free!  What's not to like?

W2WCM

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

So, I'm on Mac (since Lisa) and, as often, a little frustrated by the lack of options. This said, things are improving. As MacBook Pro-s gain in popularity and market share, there seems to be a newly found interest in Mac.

Here are some Mac-compatible logging applications for amateur radio that are current as of now:

SkookumLogger: Version 3.16 of SkookumLogger is a full-featured contest logging program suitable for the most demanding contester. It runs on MacOS, supporting single-mode and mixed-mode events on 13 bands between 160m and 23cm. SkookumLogger requires a K1EL WinKeyer or a YCCC SO2R Box.

RUMlogNG: Version 5.12.5 of RUMlogNG is a HAM radio logging, QSL handling, and printing tool, especially made for the short wave DXer, made by a DXer. Basic logging features are included for the higher bands up to 1.2 cm and for satellite.

RUMlogNG2Go for iOS: This is a contact logging tool for amateur radio, very similar and log file compatible to the Mac logger RUMlogNG. RUMlogNG2Go for the iPhone and iPad can be downloaded from the Apple iTunes store.

MacLoggerDX: Version 6.46 of MacLoggerDX organizes and filters the spots from your favorite DX Cluster for DXing, casual Contesting, or rag-chewing. MacLoggerDX supports more than a hundred radios, automatically tuning to the spots you are interested in and swinging your beam around. It alerts you to rare contacts or Band Openings and looks up for you.

HAM-Toolbox: Version 1.1.0 of HAM-Toolbox provides a variety of useful tools to help you operate your HAM-Radio. The tools range from activity monitoring tools like DX-Cluster and PSK-Reporter, to tools helping you with resource information like Bandplan, Glossary, AWG and many more. HAM-Toolbox is a universal app.

If anyone can think of any others, please post.

**Edit**

Found a few more:

Aether: A ham radio logging application for macOS. It includes tools to quickly and easily log QSOs while on the air, as well as organize, search and track your QSOs later.

HamLog: An amateur radio logging application that maintains past contacts in chronological order, enabling users to quickly add new and edit existing contacts. It supports contact logging and search, rig control via wired serial or Piglet from Pignology, export/import ADIF, and Name/QTH resolution based on callsign.

jLog: A modern, freeware ham log program that can run on all major platforms including Mac OS X, Mac OS, Linux/Unix, and Windows. It allows efficient entry of QSOs and the import or export of data using the standardized ADIF 2 format for easy data exchange with other log programs.

Mircules HAM QuickLog: HAM radio logging software compatible with iPad and Mac (requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later).

If I get a chance later I'll put in some links. Also, I think this would be a good list to have posted in our wiki.