The history of Hamvention

K3MRI

Hamvention history  

26 members have voted

1. 1. When was the first Hamvention held? (don't look it up!!)

2. 2. Have you ever been to Hamvention?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What year did you first attend Hamvention?

• ≤1960
    • The 1960s
    • The 1970s
    • The 1980s
    • The 1990s
    • The 2000s
    • The 2010s
    • The 2020s
    • Never been

• Administrator

Hamvention has had a rich history. For many of us it is a kind of pilgrimage, like Sturgis is for bikers or Daytona for race car enthusiasts. Hamvention is the place where you see the latest equipment but also walk away with the greatest bargain on 50 yards of feedline. For some it's just a short drive from Columbus or Cincinnati, for others it's a flight in from Japan or Thailand. For me it used to be a drive with my dad from Northern Québec and now it's a drive from D.C. with my buddy Alan, and occasionally my wife – though the real reason she comes is because our daughter lives in Columbus 🤐

Here is an excerpt from the Hamvention website:

Where it all started…

Since 1952 Hamvention® has been sponsored by Dayton Amateur Radio Association (DARA). For many years it has been the world\’s largest amateur radio gathering, attracting hams from throughout the globe. About 1950, John Willig, W8ACE, had asked the Dayton Amateur Radio Association to sponsor a HAM Convention but was turned down. John wanted to have a quality affair. Speakers and prizes would be a drawing point. John finally found a champion in Frank Schwab, W8YCP (W8OK), the newly elected president of the club. A meeting was held and the DARA Board allocated $100 to get started. The first organizational meeting was held in January 1952.The Southwestern Ohio Ham-vention was born. The first committee consisted of: John Willig, W8ACE, General Chairman Al Dinsmore, W8AUN, Arrangements Bob Siff, W8QDI (K4AMG), Prizes and Exhibits Frank Schwab, W8YCP (W8OK), Publicity Bob Montgomery, W8CUJ, Finance Clem Wolford, W8ENH, Program Ellie Haburton, W8GJP (W4ZVW), Women\’s Committee. The next year the name became “Dayton Hamvention®” and was registered as a trademark.April was determined to be the best time but the Biltmore Hotel, in downtown Dayton was booked. March 22 was the chosen date, causing a short lead time. How far did $100 go? Not far! A 12″ TV was raffled off to help raise funds. The FCC agreed to give license exams and Phil Rand, W1BDM, a pioneer in TVI elimination was on the program. First prize, a Collins 75A2, was purchased locally.Hoping for 300 visitors, the committee was amazed that over 600 showed up! There were 7 exhibitors and 6 forums. The ladies program was successful with a luncheon at the Biltmore and a trip to a local TV station. In 1955 the Awards Program began with the “Amateur of the Year.” The Flea Market has grown from 200 to more than 2000 spaces. In 1964 the Hamvention® moved to Hara Arena. Shuttle buses and handicapped parking were added in 1969. In 1973 it became a 2 day event with Sundays added in 1974. The program has grown to a “Souvenir Program” and in 1976 the dimensions changed from 6″x 9″ to the current 8-1/2″x11″.The growth of the Dayton Hamvention® can be attributed to caring, energetic people who enjoy being on a winning team.

What's your history with Hamvention? Did you ever attend? When was the first time?

2019 Hamvention invite.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

16 hours ago, WA2WMR said:

Never attended. Don't think I ever will.

It's actually quite worth it Lind. Don't just ask me, ask Alan also. In any case, we'll be there again this year, so if you change your mind 😉

I'm not that "into" ham radio anymore. I enjoy running the AA4ZS Memorial Slow Speed CW Roundtable on Saturday and Sunday mornings at 7:30 on 3.565MHz and will, occasionally, jump on from time to time for a QSO. Other than that, the only other ham radio activities in which I participate are Straight Key Night and Field Day.

Perhaps it has to do with teleworking since the start of COVID. I don't much like to leave the house.

• Administrator

18 hours ago, WA2WMR said:

I'm not that "into" ham radio anymore. I enjoy running the AA4ZS Memorial Slow Speed CW Roundtable on Saturday and Sunday mornings at 7:30 on 3.565MHz and will, occasionally, jump on from time to time for a QSO. Other than that, the only other ham radio activities in which I participate are Straight Key Night and Field Day.

Perhaps it has to do with teleworking since the start of COVID. I don't much like to leave the house.

Gotcha. Whereas in my case, I'm counting the days until Maria retires and we hit the road in the RV and I can get away from this apartment. Being here has severely hampered my HF joy! 1346 days, give or take a few minutes.

• 2 weeks later...