How much history do we know?

K3MRI

Knowledge of amateur radio history  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate your knowledge of amateur radio history?

• Very high
    • Somewhat high
    • Average
    • Somewhat low
    • Very low to nil
  2. 2. If you could, would you take the time to learn more about amateur radio history? Do you think it could be fun and/or useful to you?

• Yes; fun and possibly useful
    • Indifferent either way
    • No; waste of time
  3. 3. Would you like there to be more history talks at your club meetings?

• Yes, absolutely
    • Indifferent
    • No, please no

• Administrator

How much amateur radio history does each of us really know? Can we cite the year in which the first HF SSB transmitter was sold? What about the first trans-pacific communication? Does it matter? Should we study it more? Is it fun? Should we have more history-oriented talks at our clubs?

What do you all think?

• Elmer

I have been a member of a regional antique radio club for a couple of decades. While most of the lectures and articles on radio history are related to broadcast radio, there is certainly overlap with amateur radio. Early radio (1890 to about 1910) was all "amateur".  Even home radio required a serious hobbyist to set up a receiving set. The regional club, Mid-Atlantic Antique Radio Club (MAARC), has a monthly journal (Radio Age) with some interesting and well-researched articles. Their most recent issue was on women pioneers in broadcasting.

There are quite a few books on radio from many perspectives. Many are well-researched. It might be fun to have someone read a book, or some relevant chapters, then write about some of the interesting bits of ham radio, radio technology, or maybe clandestine radios that were in the book. I think many hams would enjoy a column like that. I certainly would. 

That reminds me. Someone should start a section on "my first rig" or "my biggest mistake" (sometimes they are the same).

• Like | Congratulations 1

• Administrator

On 2/28/2023 at 6:09 PM, WA3LTJ said:

That reminds me. Someone should start a section on "my first rig" or "my biggest mistake" (sometimes they are the same).

Your wishes are my...

• Administrator

By the way, don't forget to enter your own 'story' or 'journey' into Amateur Radio here: https://hamcommunity.com/hamhistory.html/

• Elmer

image.png.a9750f6e07f70eb609a4386be486b5a7.png
This was my novice station. 

Knight-Kit R55A receiver

image.jpeg

and Knight-Kit T50 transmitter 

image.png.ef9eafce94205c5cdc12845e963886d4.png

I eventually replaced the receiver with the truly amazing RME-Electrovoice 4350A receiver with matching sideband adapter.  photo from W0YVA's restoration:
image.png.045f15a09b619f15b069d0315aaea2ee.png

• Like | Congratulations 1

• Administrator

8 hours ago, WA3LTJ said:

I can't tell if the calendar says 1968 or 1969. 

It looks like the month is January. January 1, 1969, depending on whether the calendar starts on Monday or Sunday on the left, is midweek, likely the Wednesday. 1968, the first of the month is Monday, way on the left. So, in my mind, that calendar sheet is January 1969.