MC4 as connectors

K3MRI

• Administrator

I have been wrestling on how to connect two lengths of 450-ohm window line. For a while I was using purple powerpoles, purple so as not to confuse them with 12V. However, if you put enough weight on a powerpole for long enough, it loosens. You could always use solder, but at antenna voltages, I'd rather not deal with the corrosion. And so, I have now opted for the trusted MC4 solar connector. Seems to be working. There is enough space for me to double back the stripped wire so that it holds. I did not take pictures of this first set but I will next week considering I ran out of MC4s and have ordered a set which will arrive Sunday.

• Like | Congratulations 1

• Administrator

2 hours ago, WA3LTJ said:

That’s what I’m currently using, indeed with the retainer pins. The problem is the wire to connector connection. It’s fine when there is no pull, but when the ladderline is hanging from the doublet, it pulls down and eventually, after just a few setups, the wire becomes loose. I could solder, but then… corrosion sets in much faster. I’ve had luck with MC4 before because there is enough space in the casing to fold the stripped wire back over; the powerpole casing is too tight for that. I’ll definitely take a picture when my new connectors get here Monday.

• Like | Congratulations 1