A-1 Operators Club

NS7X

Anybody here ever heard of the A-1 Operators Club?  If so, do you know about its history over the last 90 years?

The ARRL website has precious little info about the founding of the club, and it's history.  I'd like to learn a little more about it. 

de MaryAnn, NS7X

A-1_OpPin.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Hi MaryAnn. I have not, or had not until today. Here is the link to the page that comes up on the ARRLhttp://www.arrl.org/news/honoring-the-best-the-arrl-s-a-1-operator-club

It’s a different concept, somewhat, but perhaps I could be accused of being inspired by A-1 to create The Elmers’ Circle. In either case, I believe in having a grouping of superior operators – in my case, I like the idea of ‘knowledgeable’ operators – not for the purpose of feeling good about one’s own achievements or capacity but rather for the purpose of sharing knowledge and inspiring others to improve and achieve.

Stay tuned on this front, I ill be aggressively promoting it in coming weeks!

The thing I think that is truly cool about the A-1 Operators Club is that you can't just fill out some paperwork and send it in to qualify.  You have to be nominated by two A-1 Ops.  Of all the wall-paper I've gathered over the years, I am most proud of my A-1 Op membership.

Another A-1 Op and I are about to surprise a local ham with his membership at a ham lunch next week, and we wanted to say a few words about the history of the Club.  But I haven't been able to find much more info than the date of organization, and the guy who announced its formation.  Apparently, A-1 Operators tend to lack braggadocio - an endearing characteristic, but one which frustrates historians. 

On the bright side,  my ham friend and I, when we make the presentation, won't have a chance to bore anybody because our "few words" will be just that - a few words.

You said, "I like the idea of ‘knowledgeable’ operators – not for the purpose of feeling good about one’s own achievements or capacity but rather for the purpose of sharing knowledge and inspiring others to improve and achieve."  That pretty much sums up what an A-1 Op is all about.  I think that today's hams inherited a great tradition left to us by those who invented the ham culture.  It is my hope that our legacy will be that we pass that foundation on to those that come after.

• Administrator

Congratulations and excellent. This is what Ham Elmers is hoping to accomplish. As you will see in coming ARRL newsletters, we'll be promoting Ham Elmers aggressively hoping to fuel our Ask the Elmers section.