Food supply

K3MRI

Emergency food supply  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How much food should be stocked to be safe?

• One week's worth
    • One month
    • Three months
    • Six months
    • A year's worth
  2. 2. How much food do you currently have stocked up, right now?

• One week's worth
    • One month
    • Three months
    • Six months
    • A year's worth
  3. 3. If your water got cut off today, right now, how much drinking water do you have?

• A couple of gallons at most
    • About five gallons
    • Well over five gallons
    • I have a medium to large water reservoir or tank
    • I have a well

• Administrator

I am always curious about how much food people have stocked up for emergencies. I remember growing up in the northern bush where there was no nearby supermarket. We went 'into town', if you want to call it that, about once a month and stocked up. Also, some months we could not go in because the gravel road might have been washed out, so my mom and dad usually kept about four months food supply which I am fairly sure we could have stretched to six. Note, also, that there was plenty of wildlife in our neck of the woods so fish and meat aplenty.

How about you? How much food do you think should be stocked? How much do you have? Let's discuss.

• Administrator

4 minutes ago, WA2WMR said:

To hell with food - TOILET PAPER. That's what was hard to come by at the beginning of the covid pandemic.

Nuts right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Ionosphere

I don't concern myself with water.  That's one of the reasons that were at the top of the list as to why I bought this house...that and NO HOA.  I have a million gallons in the back yard.  Accorging to the Army Corps of Engineers, there's an underground river that runs under the area and it bubbles up through a crevice in the bedrock about 300 feet down.   Next thing I did after buying the place was invest in a system that will pump water from the lake and filter it through a ceramic filter system that is rated to filter out all known microorganisms.   If needed, I'd switch to my solar power for my water pump.

So I'm set so far as water.

I have an eerie feeling that in the next few decades, water is going to become a very expensive luxury.  I've noticed the trend for the last few years of big corporatons buying up springs in Florida and other places.  And of course, we've had to have a government permission slip to dig a well for decades now. 

Lake.PNG

• Administrator

Water will absolutely become one of the major tactical commodities sooner than most people care to realize. As I say this let me wrap my head around water-rich 🇨🇦 Canada becoming the equivalent of today’s OPEC nations 🤑

• 3 months later...
  • Ionosphere

NOTE TO SELF:

Next time store all the MRE's in a hard container with a secure lid.
I just found out while I was in the shed a few days ago that the local squirrels have decended upon my SHTF supplies, chewed thru the cardboard boxes, and eaten all my MRE's.
They think they're smart but when the SHTF, and resources are scarce, guess what's going on the grill for supper.

Edited by KD3Y
  • Unfortunate | Sad | Too bad 1
  • Funny 1

• Administrator

11 hours ago, KD3Y said:

NOTE TO SELF:

I just found out while I was in the shed a few days ago that the local squirrels have decended upon my SHTF supplies, chewed thru the cardboard boxes, and eaten all my MRE's.
They think they're smart but when the SHTF, and resources are scarce, guess what's going on the grill for supper.

LOL. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m really sorry about your MREs, but I’ll never look at a squirrel the same again.

Really sorry to hear about your MREs - that's just awful.  Just in case you end up buying more, Atlantic Firearms has Humanitarian MREs still, which are around $50 for a case of 10 (20 meals total) and I believe ArmyNavyOutdoors has some Ameriqual MREs (12 per case) for the same price.  I store mine is bins like the ones in the image from Amazon - they clamp shut and have slots to run zip-ties through them to help keep them secure from freeloaders like squirrels.

image.png

• Ionosphere

Thanks Michael.  And welcome to the group.
I live right beside MCAS Cherry Point and Camp Lejune, so I've never bought any "retail MRE's"...  They seem to find their way to the flea market in sealed cases quite easily somehow.   Thats how I got the mast sections for my mobile vertical antenna.  I got some boys at MARSOC Camp Lejune that lost an OE-254 for me.  🙂

I do need to get some of them bins though for the future.  Thanks!

Anthony, KD3Y

• Like | Congratulations 1

On 3/15/2023 at 2:51 PM, KD3Y said:

NOTE TO SELF:

When the rabbits, squirrels etc are eating everything in your vegetable garden, you are no longer raising vegetables; you're raising rabbits, etc.

• Funny 3

On 3/17/2023 at 7:56 PM, Michael51 said:

Really sorry to hear about your MREs - that's just awful.  Just in case you end up buying more, Atlantic Firearms has Humanitarian MREs still, which are around $50 for a case of 10 (20 meals total) and I believe ArmyNavyOutdoors has some Ameriqual MREs (12 per case) for the same price.  I store mine is bins like the ones in the image from Amazon - they clamp shut and have slots to run zip-ties through them to help keep them secure from freeloaders like squirrels.

image.png

a bin like this will only slow them down a couple minutes. some smaller plastic, inside of a tool storage box. like you sometimes see hanging from a job site crane.

they are vary strong, can hold off a bear even. but still cover all gaps with a sealant and real duct tape, the metal coated stuff.

Edited by KG6TGU
  • Thanks 1