Consider DMR (Digital Mobile Radio)

WN3R

• Elmer

Regardless of your license class, you can enjoy world wide QSO’s anytime. For less than $200, you can talk around the world from your home, vehicle, portable, and even while hiking. 

While DMR has a huge learning curve, I’ll get you on the air in minutes. You can learn about it after your QSO with Japan, Australia, and the UK all at the same time. 

• Elmer

Jim, 

I have radios here that I give away to DMR newbies. I will lend you a hotspot for a month and if you like DMR, you can order your own hotspot. Call me and I'll tell you what you need to do to register for a DMR Radio ID, etc.

73, Dick

• Thanks 1

• Administrator

Hi Dick.

First, a big thank you for offering to lend me the hotspot. I'm actually going to take the plunge and get one. I need to have one so I might as well learn on my owned unit. I'm going to start perusing the offers but if you have any advice on which way to go, please let me know. Again, same for the radio.

This said, I would love to meet up with you for coffee in a few weeks when I do get them (hopefully I might be able to pick up a deal during Black Friday sales) and get your advice on how to best plunge into DMR. I've done pretty well with D-Star but from what I know, they are different universes. I'll be in and out of the area until after Thanksgiving, I'll latch up with you then.

Thanks again. You're a champ at helping people out!!

• Elmer

Come to my house for coffee and we can discuss DMR. You'll laugh when you see how many radios I have. I buy one or two each time they go on sale. We can discuss which hotspot to buy from Amazon. While you're here we can get you the credentials you need to get registered into the DMR world. Or we can do a Zoom Call and I can demo each type of radio.

The learning curve for DMR is huge. My mission is to get newbies all setup; THEN they can hit the you tubes and other sites for the details. If you want to do it the hard way, OK by me.

I just added a display to one of my hotspots and installed it the car. I now can see who's on without listening to a radio. Now my XYL thinks she has my full attention. HI

73, Dick

PS The Hotspot I recommend is: https://a.co/d/aSVgkx3. The current price is about $50 more than what I paid a few years back. RPi board prices really skyrocketed. 

• Administrator

Sounds great. As soon as Thanksgiving is over, I'll call you and come over, I'd love to.

If we don't exchange messages until then, Happy Thanksgiving!!

Jim

• Elmer

11-13-22 Crazy low prices for COTRE DMR UHF Radios on AMAZON. They work very well with Hotspots.

Just search COTRE DMR. Read description carefully. Look for the words DMR or DIGITAL or DIGITAL/ANALOG. If you don't see those words the radio is analog only. Prices start an $17.00 shipped. I have tried all 3 models. I recommend the really small radio with the disappearing display.

Snip20221113_1.png.882a8fed3ab0b306020af345f2062065.png

This model has 32 channels. Great sounding radio.

• Thanks 1

• Administrator

Not what I’m looking for but WOW, really?? 17 dollars for a R-A-D-I-O? Absolutely incredible. If I had extra time to learn it, I would get it just to play with it. But I am sold, DMR seems to be a much larger universe than I had imagined.

• Elmer

DMR radio prices range from $17 to $315 (commercial models can be more). Two ways to buy 1)List the wanted/needed features, or 2) Set your budget and get the best radio you can for the money. It pays to consider radios $50 above and below your budget. If you are only using your radio with a hotspot, you can get away with saving a good deal of money because most hotspots have displays. There aren't too many repeaters in the area. A hotspot is like having access to a private repeater 100% of the time. In other words, you don't have to worry about hogging it.