Own old gear?

K3MRI

Own old gear?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still own older gear (transceiver, transmitter, receiver, linear amplifier)?

• Built in the 1980's
    • Built in the 1970's
    • Built in the 1960's
    • Built before 1960
    • Nope, only new stuff
  2. 2. Based on the answer above:

• I mainly operate with pre-1990 gear
    • I sometimes operate with pre-1990 gear
    • I never operate with pre-1990 gear

• Administrator

I wonder how many of us own old gear. I'm talking transceivers, transmitters, receivers, and maybe linear amplifiers. Let's pick a random date: 1990. Who still actively uses gear from pre-1990 and what type of gear?

Collins_R_390A_receiver.jpg

• Administrator

15 hours ago, KP4CI said:

TS-830, TS-140 a few mobile and HT's pre 1990. Just got a National receiver.

I loved the TS-830. A dear dear friend had one and I was so jealous. This may sound corny, but I saw the 830 as the ultimate radio back then. I did not think radios could get any better. Think about it, I thought, a radio that goes from 160 to 10m!!!!!!????? 🤩 And let's be honest, it was a good looking rig.

As for the National Receiver, not sure which one you got, but they were also good looking. Now, I know, we're not buying radios for their looks, but c'mon 😄 Here's a nice link from the Ham Radio Museum: https://www.radioing.com/museum/rx5.html. Don't hold me to this, but from memory, I think my dad had an NC-60. I kinda wish I still had it.

TS-830S.jpeg

• Agree | Support 1

As my grandfather got back into ham radio (circa 1975), he first purchased the TS820. Some years later added the TS-830S and external VFO. Always was happy with others giving him praise for how good his audio sounded. The current TS-830  we have was a handme down from an SK to my kids. Just needs some TLC but still working. And yes, "ultimate radio back then" and for many still is with out all the modern bells and whistles.

My TS-140 is suffering from the famous Kenwood "Bad Caps" and Humidity in the putty compound that they covered internal part with. This affects the TS-140, 440, 440S, and 680. Still turns on and receives, BUT...... maybe for not to much longer.

As you see below, It's a National Rack Mount NC-125 that a college student just gave me. It was his grandfathers and he does not have time to work on it or use it.

Some of the HT I use on a monthly basis are, Kenwood TR-2500, and Icom 03AT (220 Mhz). The TR-2500 I buy for about $25, replace the internal battery and check to see if they have any issues. If in good shape, good for APRS with Bionics Tiny Track, as well as the Icom 2AT or 02AT.

What I am looking forward to bring home from grandpas estate, his hand built 10M 25W AM transmiter. [sorry, not intending to degrade or offend anyone] They nicked named it "the chinese kilowatt' (circa 1930's).

National.jpg

Edited by KP4CI
my bad spelling

• Administrator

I think there is a beauty, an elegance, an honor maybe, to using older gear instead of always always always needing the latest. This is especially true in our hobby. My dear friend and co-conspirator @W4DOI will of course get a kick out of hearing me say this, but a wave is a wave!

• Agree | Support 1

Pre 1990? Guilty! That's all I have. In my opinion, the older stuff is nice to look at and relatively easy to work on. Oh yeah, it was also the stuff I dreamed of one owning when I could afford it. Can the attractiveness of a Boatanchor be measured? In all seriousness (yeah right) I tried to find a way to measure Boat Anchor Beauty and came up with the BABE (Boat Anchor Beauty Evaluator). Check it out: https://www.qsl.net/kb7rgg/radio/babe/babe.html

Here is a partial view of my collection which also includes an R-390A, SX-28A, SX-100, HX-10 & RX-1. My newest radio is a Kenwood TS-830S. And yes I have that motorcycle too. It's also a classic.

left-s.jpg

center-s.jpg

right-s.jpg

• Like | Congratulations 1

• Administrator

On 10/2/2022 at 2:05 PM, KB7RGG said:

Pre 1990? Guilty! That's all I have. In my opinion, the older stuff is nice to look at and relatively easy to work on. Oh yeah, it was also the stuff I dreamed of one owning when I could afford it. Can the attractiveness of a Boatanchor be measured? In all seriousness (yeah right) I tried to find a way to measure Boat Anchor Beauty and came up with the BABE (Boat Anchor Beauty Evaluator). Check it out: https://www.qsl.net/kb7rgg/radio/babe/babe.html

Here is a partial view of my collection which also includes an R-390A, SX-28A, SX-100, HX-10 & RX-1. My newest radio is a Kenwood TS-830S. And yes I have that motorcycle too. It's also a classic.

What an absolutely magnificent setup(s). OMG. First the gear. Classics!!! Next the bike. As you may or may not know, I’m a bike fanatic. Have been riding since my dad got me a 49cc Moto Benelli when I was eight. And then - I save the move impressive comment for last - the cleanliness of the setup. I have seen many a vintage setup in my life; never have I seen such a clean ‘working’ setup. Never mind the elegance of the glass top, and the symmetry of the installation, every piece of equipment is useful, no redundancy or waste. Truly impressed!!!

OMG thank you for the kind words! I had gone thru several design ideas and looked at pics of lots of shacks for ideas. For some reason I liked the idea of glass. I picked up the glass desk for $100 off a Craigslist ad after lots of searching. I'm working on hiding all the wiring. I hate a cluttered look. That you find it impressive tells me I did a good job. That means a lot to me. No I didn't know you are a "biker". Not sure what a 49cc Benelli looks like but you sure started early. I can't just collect classic radios. I have four kinda classic bikes:

2007 Buell XB9R
1979 Honda CBX
1975 Honda CB400F
1971 Honda SL350

My daughter convinced me to get on Instagram to show my bikes. If your are curious, my Instagram name is kennectwithme.