How often do we volunteer for public service events?

K3MRI

Public service volunteering  

31 members have voted

1. 1. In the past 12 months, how many times have you volunteered and served on a public interest event such as a marathon, parade, emergency exercise, etc...?

• None
    • Once
    • 2 to 5 times
    • Over 5 times
  2. 2. Do you think it is important for amateur radio operators to volunteer for public service events?

• Yes, it is very important to volunteer
    • Somewhat important
    • No opinion
    • Somewhat unimportant
    • We have no obligation whatsoever to volunteer

• Administrator

As we get ready to launch Ham Volunteers, I ask myself the question, how often do we volunteer for public service events? I'm not talking about Field Day or club meetings, but more for marathons, parades, emergency exercises, etc.

Time for a poll and I welcome any discussion on the broader concept of volunteering. Maybe you can tell us if you think you've done enough, what you like about volunteering, what you don't like...

Also, in this thread, I welcome any experiences you might have had in volunteering for amateur radio, both good and bad!

• Agree | Support 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I realize that this is not a scientific sample, but I find it interesting that regardless of the number of times we have volunteered, all are in agreement that volunteering is important!!

• Agree | Support 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My experience, (and as a group at these activities, we have received great feedback and praises). Norwalk, CT March of Dime walk, Coulumbus OH Shriners Car Show at Rickenbacker AFB (Here we were key as temperatures got above 100 and we were able to call medics on time for several folks that started getting heat stroke), Wabash River Ride (been doing this Bicycle ride for over 10 years. Min route is about 33 miles, longest over 100miles. We have served as stations or as sag wagons), Franciscan 5K walk /Run.

These activities have helped in knowing:

• what equipment is about to die,
  • how to program your radio on the fly,
  • what antenna you should be using,
  • How hi should your antenna be, fast antenna set up / deployment,
  • see what others bring as go kits,
  • what areas have repeater coverage, i
  • sues with car installation,
  • what power setting is good for your radio on th elong term, and many more.
  • how you can improve HT performance
  • RF interferance
  • Battery life for the equipment you are using

Gives you a scense of what to bring, when to bring it, for the location and type of operation.

• Agree | Support 1

• Administrator

On 9/25/2022 at 3:34 PM, KP4CI said:

Gives you a scense of what to bring, when to bring it, for the location and type of operation.

Hi Bobby,

You just said something that I never really thought of... preparation! Volunteering is as good as emcom exercises for improving your preparedness. We (I) always think of volunteering as a selfless act of helping someone else when, in fact, it's both. Volunteering, in addition to just making you feel good, helps you practice.

Excellent point. Thank you!

• Agree | Support 2

I do agree with your volunteering statement, and I do get satisfaction on volunteering.

Through those moments, I have met many fascinating people, there careers, there passions, hobbies and at time, learn that we may have friends in common or places that we have visited that spark memories and great conversations.