Jump to content

Le premier


Recommended Posts

  • Administrator

Vu que je suis de Montréal, j'ai intérêt d'être le premier a paraitre dans la section Québecoise. J'espère que à terme, nous serons plusieurs à utiliser Ham Community pour mieux collaborer !

A bientôt !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

Jim, il y a beacoups des annees depuis j'etude le francais.  Ma grammaire et vocabulaire est horrible. Mais, cette juin nous allez a quebec.  Je changerai au anglais maintenant.  I plan on taking my radio equipment (Yaesu FY-897 and yo-yo antenna) and operating from Quebec City when we're not touring.  Any hints or recommendations on operating in Canada?  Merci beaucoups!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

Salut Mike,

Heureux de te donner autant de conseils que possible. Tout d'abord, je te souhaite bon voyage et bonnes transmissions. Pour la suite, moi aussi je vais te répondre en anglais, au moins pour que tu comprennes tout ce que j'ai a dire !!

There are many sources of information, including the source legal ones from the FCC and Industry Canada, but I like what I found on NJ2X's page: https://www.nj2x.com/2011/12/american-ham-in-canada.html

He says it better than I:


As a licensed amateur radio operator and citizen of the United States, you may operate in Canada as a domestically licensed station without the requirement of obtaining any license or permission from the Canadian government.
An American amateur may allow third party use of his station and call sign, carry international third party traffic, serve as a temporary control operator for a repeater station, and identify themselves as a domestic station using the national call sign system, provided:

  • The Licensee has citizenship and a valid amateur radio license from the country for their residency;
  • The Licensee appends the local Canadian Zone (Region) to the END of their call sign when identifying their station (e.g. KC2XXX/VE3); and,
  • The Licensee adheres to the Canada operating powers, frequency (band) allocations, and laws.

US amateurs operating in Canada must abide by Industry Canada RBR-4 rules.

Of note, if you are a Canadian citizen, then you'll have a problem. Canadian citizens cannot operate in Canada with a U.S. license 🤬

Depending on what bands you use, e.g. 80m NVIS, you might come across French speakers... The good news is that most of us are bilingual so you'll have no problem.

I will tell you this about just 'setting up'. The Sûreté du Québec or SQ, which is the provincial police, will likely come visit you if you have U.S. plates and have an antenna up. My experience with them is that they are typically very friendly and just want to know what you're doing.

Not sure if you've been up that way before, but June... mosquitos!! Especially out of town. In Quebec City you'll be fine, but if you go out of town you better have some repellant.

I do hope that you'll travel outside the city. It's a beautiful area. You should go see St. Anne de Beaupré (https://sanctuairesainteanne.org/en) It's a unique Cathedral. You'll understand when you visit. Obviously, old Quebec will enchant you; it'll be like walking the streets of St. Malo in France.

Anything else I can add??...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Ham Mega Pad (XXXL)

Ham Word Cloud Pad (XL)

Ham Codes, Signs, Words (Medium)

Ham Band Edges mousepad (Small)

Ham Alliance

Ham Alliance - Billboard - 970*250px

  • Create New...