cwmorse.us Paddle

WA2WMR

Just purchased a paddle (single, non-iambic) paddle from cwmorse.us with magnets in base and a steel base plate. They don't show single paddles on the website (at least I couldn't find them - asked via eMail and received a link). Just tried it out with a Yaesu 817 to see what it felt like. Has a devil of a time setting up the 817 to use the keyer; I had previously using a Navy Flameproof straight key. 

It's no Vibroplex Vibro Keyer, but it certainly is a nice little key; it's produced with a 3D printer. I expect to run it through its paces on field day.

The screws on the side(s) control contact spacing. There are no tension adjustments on the outside. Perhaps if I opened it up I might find some but it's fine as is for me. That little thing sticking up in the back is the end of an allen wrench for adjusting the screws. It is stored in a hole in the back of the unit.

RED-LIGHTWEIGHT-SINGLE-PADDLE-1_f1053704-d05b-4f32-a09f-62c556cbb145_900x.jpg?v=1649205437

• Like | Congratulations 1

No. Not at all. However, it has four small magnets on the bottom and you can get a steel base (shown in the picture) which gives it real heft. In fact, when I picked up the package, I dropped it because I didn't expect it to have much weight. With the steel base in place, it feels quite nice.

I tried it out last night with my Yaesu 817 but didn't get any responses. However, I did get an idea of the key. As I said, it's no Vibroplex Vibro Keyer, but it is nice. My only objection is the lack of tension controls; I'd like more "feel" to it. I'm gonna use it on field day.

(I've been playing with a bug so much that I kept trying to manually form dashes. That got a little weird.)

• Funny 1

• Administrator

44 minutes ago, WA2WMR said:

I just checked Reversebeacon and see that I got up into New Hampshire, out near Milwaukee and down near Raleigh at as high as 19 WPM.

We agree... this was QRP?

Yes. This was 9 or 10 pm last night. The interesting thing is that I use 600 watts when I run the CW Roundtable and when I checked for that, there was nothing. I guess 80 m is pretty much a night time band.

• 2 weeks later...

I used this key during Field Day and found that the only complaint I have is that the paddle has no "feel". On several occasions, when I intended to start keying, I hit the paddle without feeling it and immediately needed to blast out a series of dits to indicate an error and start over again. Think in terms of touching a butterfly's wings. That's what I think of when using this key. Other than that, it's fantastic. 

• Confused 1

• Administrator

10 hours ago, WA2WMR said:

I used this key during Field Day and found that the only complaint I have is that the paddle has no "feel". On several occasions, when I intended to start keying, I hit the paddle without feeling it and immediately needed to blast out a series of dits to indicate an error and start over again. Think in terms of touching a butterfly's wings. That's what I think of when using this key. Other than that, it's fantastic. 

Ouch. I can't imagine working a key without that firmness or springiness. What I don't understand, is how the key comes back to center rest...

It has return springs; they're just very light. It's kinda like, after having shot competition with a 1911 having a trigger pull in the neighborhood of 3 to 4 lbs, I picked up an Olympic free pistol with a trigger pull measured in ounces. After a while one gets used to it but I'd rather have something I can feel. The only real complaint I have is that there doesn't seem to be any protection for the red paddle. If I throw it in my backpack, I think it would snap off very easily. It's a nice key.

• Like | Congratulations 1