Elmer Quiz Study Guide?

K0BLU

Question

What would be a good outline of Amateur Radio Knowledge relevant to the Elmer Quizes?

Would the Technician, General & Extra Classes material be sufficient for taking the Elmer Quizes?

Just curious…

Chris

3 answers to this question

• Administrator

6 hours ago, K0BLU said:

What would be a good outline of Amateur Radio Knowledge relevant to the Elmer Quizes?

Would the Technician, General & Extra Classes material be sufficient for taking the Elmer Quizes?

Just curious…

Chris

Hi Chris.

The Elmer Quizzes were designed to be brutal. They ask the most insanely difficult and 'why would I need to know that?' questions. The purpose is to truly seek out the most knowledgeable among us. As far as the study required, I would say it's a combo of three things:

1. Yes, they are definitely Extra level questions
  2. But the questions require more than just Extra study, they require real world experience. Many of the questions are answerable by people who have tried things and failed or succeeded.
  3. Lastly, I would say there is no reading to be done. Just dive in and expect some pain. This said, because the questions are so tough, the required score is acceptably low. I then look at the answers and determine where someone fits in. And yes, I occasionally disregard the score and just look at the knowledge that I see is reflected int he answers or in the conversations I later have with potential Elmers.

To be clear, the Elmer concept at Ham Community is sacred. We're really looking to have people who can answer a question authoritatively. Something that bothers me on many forums is that you do not know the level of genuine knowledge and competence your interlocutor has. Just because someone is an Extra does not make him a safety expert like say (sorry to single you out Tom, but @W3TDH who is leagues above the rest of us). Ask Tom a question about safety measures and you know you're getting a true and tried response. He does not go onto the Internet to 'look it up', he's learned it, lived it, multiple times over.

Sorry for the long answer, but it shows you how much I care about this concept. So yes, absolutely, zero shame, take the quizzes 😉 And then, like going to the dentist, feel free to hate me 😇 for the ridiculous tenor of the questions.

Jim

PS> Now I'll go and see what's wrong with that other quiz that wasn't working... 😰

• Agree | Support 1

I think I will defer the Elmer Quizzes for now. My practical knowledge of Amateur Radio seems sometimes more Technician level than Extra. Taking the Extra exam 3 years ago, I prepared mostly with HamStudy, the ARRL manuals and Dave Casler videos. Digital modes and building a basic radio, let alone an SDR befuddle me.  As I get my Ham Shack up and running to my liking, I hope I will get my courage up to try them.

One of my ideas for links is to outline the practical tasks at various levels and bands. Somewhat like a lab course module with links to needed references. That will make for a wide range of possible topics. Stressing fundamentals and following the adage of “Less is more”, I hope will allow me to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Edited by K0BLU
  • Like | Congratulations 1

• Administrator

I very much like separating wheat from chaff 😉 I like excellence, not to be confused with elitism or arrogance. I just like it when time is spent on the useful. Thanks again for your interest!!

Jim

• Agree | Support 1