• Don’t have an HT
    • I use it maybe once a year
    • I use it a few times a year
    • I use an HT often, at least once a month
    • I use it weekly
    • I use it daily
    • I’m on my HT constantly
    • I always have it on, just as an emergency backup
  2. 2. I mostly use my HT for… (all that apply)

• For fun
    • For work
    • Club events
    • Public service events
    • At hamfests
    • On the road, in my car
    • Hiking or camping
    • VHF/UHF contesting
    • To access hotspot
    • None of the above or Other

• Administrator

I wonder how often we use our HTs. For me it’s one of those tools I absolutely love but realize I do not use as much as I should or would like to. Do you feel you’re using your HTs as much as you’d like to? How often do you actually use one?

• 5 weeks later...

I don't use my VHF gear much at all. HT doesn't have enough to hit the repeater without attaching the base station antenna. The repeater is dead most of the time so I don't use the base station except for Tuesday night round table. Same with the mobile rig. (Since I'm in a telecommute mode, I don't use the car that much either) 

• Administrator

You know who still uses VHF lots and lots, people with land. When you have a big plot of land, it's a great tool to 'phone home'. I'm also hoping to revive 146.52 some day. I just had some new stickers printed up and I bought the domain 14652.org. I would love to make 146.52 MHz the Channel 19 of ham. When I drove to Hamvention, I literally went from here to 50 miles from Xenia without a single VHF contact and I was calling out on 146.52 regularly. Nada, Nothing.

• Administrator

Plenty. On the mobile side, my Icom 5100 works great with dual VFOs. On the HT side, my Yaesu VX-8DR is also an amazing dual VFO one. In fact, when I travel, that's what I usually do. Keep one on the calling frequency and the other on a D-star.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:48 PM, WB4KFO said:

I like an HT as a mobile rig.  Plug it in  a "cigarette lighter" (yeah I still use that term)  a magnet mount antenna with a microphone.  Throw the antenna in the trunk and take the ht with me when I leave the car.  The down side to ht is the battery packs are unavailable after a while.

Edited by WB4KFO