General Licensing

KI5QCX

I'm new to site and thanks for having me. I do have my Tech Lic. and trying for may general using Gordon West study guide plus the arrl manual. I struggle with this studing. What way did you get thru it?

• Administrator

Hi Wesley. Wow, that’s actually a really tough question. I don’t know if there is a secret to getting through the study guides Some people just memorize the pool because ultimately, as you know, it’s a question pool. I think that’s a major mistake because you end up not learning the material; you’re just memorizing. Some suggest you focus on those areas you actually know best so as to get the highest score. My own advice is to find an elmer nearby, someone who has the patience to help you with what you know least. The reason I like this most is that you’ll end up knowing both what’s easy for you and what’s not. Like I said, tough one. Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion 🤔

• Like | Congratulations 2

• Administrator

I forgot to ask you if you were a member of an amateur radio club, especially one that has experience with classes and licensing. If you're not, you may want to look into one. There are usually/always experienced local hams that are willing/happy to mentor you to the next license level.

• Like | Congratulations 1

23 hours ago, K3MRI said:

Hi Wesley. Wow, that’s actually a really tough question. I don’t know if there is a secret to getting through the study guides Some people just memorize the pool because ultimately, as you know, it’s a question pool. I think that’s a major mistake because you end up not learning the material; you’re just memorizing. Some suggest you focus on those areas you actually know best so as to get the highest score. My own advice is to find an elmer nearby, someone who has the patience to help you with what you know least. The reason I like this most is that you’ll end up knowing both what’s easy for you and what’s not. Like I said, tough one. Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion 🤔

Thanks for the info. I agree with what you're saying about memorizing .

• 2 weeks later...

While I agree with Jim,  there does seem to be a growing trend of opinion to memorize the question pool just to pass the test and then with new privileges available really learn how to do things.  I started exactly as Jim describes, a local club and elmers, but then used the memorization method to upgrade more recently.  I used online/app tools, hamstudy and hamtestonline, while referencing the ARRL, Gordon West, and K4IA books.

• Like | Congratulations 2

• Administrator

3 minutes ago, KB7THL said:

While I agree with Jim,  there does seem to be a growing trend of opinion to memorize the question pool just to pass the test and then with new privileges available really learn how to do things.  I started exactly as Jim describes, a local club and elmers, but then used the memorization method to upgrade more recently.  I used online/app tools, hamstudy and hamtestonline, while referencing the ARRL, Gordon West, and K4IA books.

I’ll meet you half way and say that what ultimately counts is good intentions. An intention to learn, be a good operator, and help those who hope to become operators. I agree that there are many paths of getting there 😁

• Like | Congratulations 1