First post by KG5BMR

KG5BMR

Hey Ham Community, this is an automated post on behalf of our new member: KG5BMR,

On behalf of Ham Community, let's give KG5BMR a warm welcome.

KG5BMR, we encourage you to browse around and get to know the Community's many sections. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask, as with all things HAM, we all love to give advice 😎

For everyone's information, KG5BMR joined on the 01/07/2022; this is their profile: View Member.

Hello, I am a newbie with a technician's license (2014) then life happened with a series of accidents, etc.  Now, I can start again.  Hopefully, I will start studying for a general license next month.    

Is there a book that can help me relearn some of what I have forgotten?

Do you have Elmers here to help guide me on what steps to take next?

Is there someone who can help me figure out this Yaesu ft-70-D?  I did know how last year, but a concussion and covid took it from me.

Can you recommend any other forums that could help me get started?

Thanks so much!

Hi, Kim, and welcome to Ham Community.  I'm glad to hear that you're planning on upgrading your ticket.  If you're wanting to review tech class material, you might want to go  to one of the practice test websites (like hamexam.org) and take a few practice tests.

Yes, there are Elmers here and they really know their stuff.  I'm sure they would be glad to give you an assist.

As for your FT 70-D, I'd start with the manual.  There is also a "cheat sheet" by N8UKF for the rig available, but my computer won't let me download it so I can't look it over.

If you haven't already, check out arrl.org which is a great resource for all things ham.

By the way, you probably know that "73" means best regards, and "88" means love and kisses.  But what is less well known is that when a YL (young lady - female ham) signs off with another YL, they use "33" which basically means, "You go, girl!" 

Anyway, I think you'll enjoy being a ham, and being a part of Ham Community.  Let me know if you have any questions.

MaryAnn, NS7X

MaryAnn,

Thanks for your response and advice to my questions.  I have tried to contact a local Ham club in the Houston area, but they never responded to my phone messages or emails.  Maybe they closed?  I had an old friend that got me interested in Ham many years ago when I had 4 daughters at home but he passed so I have no human resource in which to watch/observe.  

I appreciate the cheat sheet and will try to contact N8UKF if they are on this forum.  Thanks for the info on the 73,88, and 33!

Mainly, I want to utilize the radio I have and see what it can do with that before I try anything else.

Thanks again for the (33) encouragement!

Kim

I think a lot of clubs have gone into a cocoon the last couple of years thanks to you-know-what.  Have you tried http://www.ofarc.org/  ?  I see their next meeting (on Zoom) will be on Jan 22.

Has your FT-70 been programmed?  If so, you should be able to listen to local/area repeaters and get the hang of what procedures/protocols are used there. (Like everywhere else in life, most hams are really great people, but you'll run into an occasional jerk which can be pretty discouraging.  Fortunately, the jerks are few and far between!)  If you need to get your rig programmed, then we need to tackle that.

Hello, I didn't know the you know what would shut down the clubs.  I have not tried the link you provided, but I will check it out.  I have done several scans on the FT-70 and its all quiet?  Maybe I live too far out.  I purchased another antenna besides the one it came with.  Yes, I downloaded some software that helped with programming the Ft-70.  I should drive into town with it and scan again I suppose?

I sure appreciate your feedback!

Kim

Edited by KG5BMR

Well, Kim, it sounds like you have a good handle on what you're doing.  It could be that there's just not much activity on the repeaters.  It could be you're not in the coverage area.  You might try looking for local nets.  There apparently is one on 145.17 (-) (PL 123) Tuesdays at 8 pm.  Otherwise, I'd definitely try to make the Zoom meeting on the 22nd.  Check out the website link because it should additional info, including contact information for the club.

• Administrator

On 1/10/2022 at 10:42 AM, NS7X said:

I think a lot of clubs have gone into a cocoon the last couple of years thanks to you-know-what.  Have you tried http://www.ofarc.org/  ?  I see their next meeting (on Zoom) will be on Jan 22.

Welcome @KG5BMR and like @NS7X said, it does seem like some clubs have gone into a cocoon of sorts. I was expecting the opposite but no, many have. Fortunately, many have not, quite the opposite. In my region (the DC area) clubs are actually split 50/50. Some have quasi-disappeared, others have flourished with a new found cure to the loneliness... they get on the air! I also second MaryAnn's encouragement to up your ticket. You'll find that there is, contrary to FM, a lot of traffic on HF now that the bands are opening up again (thank you Sun).