Second "paddle" on a bug

WA2WMR

• Administrators
ELMER

ABSOLUTELY no idea what's going on?????? Never seen one of these before.

• Moderators

I asked Vibroplex about it and all they said was that it was a Russian thing.

I just checked the video where I asked about it and UA3AMY replied "The purpose of this is to form the correct pause between dashes and dots". I then asked if there was any instruction available about how to use this. Awaiting a reply.

• Confused 1

• Administrators
ELMER

All I can say is: weird!

• Moderators

Got a reply from the fellow who posted that video and he sent me a link to another video that gives a better view of what's going on. It's a second paddle for forming dahs. (the main paddle can also form dahs in the normal manner)

• Administrators
ELMER

Insanely cool but still wondering: why? Having two accelerators in the car... not sure! Having two forks, why? Hmm...

• Moderators

In the description by the original poster on YouTube, it was to get the dit to dah timing correct. A long time ago, I read that you can always tell when someone is using a bug because a relatively large contact spacing on the dit side in order to get the pendulum action going. This means when going from a dit to a dah, (or vice versa, I guess) ther tends to be a time gap which doesn't exist with a straight key or a paddle where contact spacing can be much closer.