Carolina repeaters

KT4OBX

Well.  If no one else from North Carolina is going to make the first post to the "Tarheel" section, I reckon I'll do it.

Most of you learned Ham operators know that the true inventor of "Radio" was a man named Reginald Fessenden and not Guglielmo Marconi.  No offense to Guglielmo Marconi because he made some extraordinary discoveries and got other scientists interested in the possibilities of radio.  But Marconi used "spark" transmissions.  Fessenden was a proponent of Continuous Wave transmissions.   It is true that Fressenden proved his concept using a continuous spark transmission, but Fessenden went on to develop the concept to what we now know today as radio.  Much of Fessenden's work occurred on The Outer Banks of North Carolina at the same time the Wright Brothers were here doing their experiments on their "flying machine".   In 1900, Fessenden made the first transmission of speech by radio when he transmitted a 127-word voice message from his North Carolina Cape Hatteras transmitter tower to a tower on Roanoke Island, North Carolina.  In 1906 he made the first radio transmission across the Atlantic Ocean.

Due to ut situation on the warm Atlantic Ocean, and our proximity to the cool air of the Smoky Mountains, North Carolina is the land of the word “ducting”.  Due to temperature changes occurring constantly over the water and land structures we have an absolute radio wonderland for those that are into that.  If you are interested in Hamming it up while on vacation North Carolina is the place to string up a dipole or a G5RV.  Coastal North Carolina will not disappoint you, Ten AND 6 are wide open.

The shores of North Carolina has one of the clearest shots on earth for talking to the International Space Station and "Tarheels" used to talk through the UHF repeater on the Russian Mir craft all the time.  We get to do meteor scatter, Slow scan TV, and FAST scan TV.  So come on, bring your station, and put the Outer Banks on your map.

If’n you just do the repeaters here’s the list from the North to the South:

Coming South East through Currituck into DARE County, Elizabeth City (146.655) is good bunch of fellows.  Welcome to the Outer Banks.  We don’t have Mountains here on the sea, but we do have the WUNC –TV tower in Tyrell County near Columbia (146.835).  It’s 1600 feet, head in the clouds.  We have 146.835, 443.300 and 442.725 up at 1200 feet, Antennas right there, no hard line loss, the whole mess is on a platform with a elevator.

When you get near Coinjock you can be assured you have a good shot at the main or original Outer Banks Repeater Club flagship, 146.940 transmitter located on that 1200 foot monster as you enter Dare County and cross the Wright Brothers Memorial on your left, another bunch of good guys. Then there is 145.110 in Kill Devils Hills.  131.800 is at 200 ft in Kill Devils Hills behind the Fire Station at the EMS old EOC tower on a new Sinclair 4 bay enclosed harness beauty of a folded Dipole array.  The other Outer Banks Repeater Association Repeaters cover the Beach wonderfully, and you should be able to get on the “Coinjock” repeater which is located way up top on the US Navy tower, South Nags Head on 145.290.

Coming West, the Same thing, Rocky Mount is on 147.120, then maybe Williamston (145. 410) then Columbia (146.835) and then in Dare County (145.290) and on to Outer Banks Repeaters, OR if your coming South onto the Republic of Hatteras Island, We have 145.290 up there in South Nags Head connected full time to 444.925 down here in Buxton and 146.625 down here linked full time to 442.725 over in Columbia.  The Main Fessenden Club repeater down here in Buxton is on 145.150.

There's also have a repeater over on Ocracoke hooked up to 145.150 in Buxton, over on Ocracoke on 444.225.

Once you get to the "inner" outer banks, there's the 2-meter, IRLP enabled repeater in Morehead City (145.450) covering Carteret County and there's also the 444.825 repeater that belongs to Mr. Wenk covering the same area.  Further south is the Onslow Club repeater (145.190) serving the Camp Lejune boys in green. Then there's the "down east" New bern repeater in Downtown Bear City on 146.610.

d9ca6226811afe94a0ff34da115faf14.jpg.b2c6f41e846d46ccee5388ff6c27d941.jpg

• Administrators
ELMER

So, several things to say here.

First, bizarre that the system asked me to approve your post @KT4OBX. Should not have done so. I can't see anything that would force moderation. Bizarre.

Second, I did not know about Fessenden and the Outer Banks. It does make sense though and for years I've been tinkering with the idea of setting up a major Field Day operation somewhere on The Outer Banks. I'm convinced it would be one of the best places in North America to operate with that much salt water on either side... Ham Community Field Day Ops Center... on the Outer Banks (I like that).

Lastly, I've been toying with the idea of taking a motorcycle ride down the Banks this summer... Hmm...

• Like | Congratulations 1

Posted (edited)

I don't know either.  Unless maybe the server doesn't like my VPN.  Sometimes that happens depending on the server.
Or maybe it was the image file that it thought suspicious.  I guess we'll see if it happens with this reply.

An Outer Banks Field Day sure would be a fine thing.

https://www.ncdcr.gov/blog/2013/12/24/r-a-fessenden-on-the-outer-banks-the-beginnings-of-radio

Edited by KT4OBX

• Administrators
ELMER

I was actually about to come this weekend but something came up. Substitute planning in progress... Maybe we can do coffee if I come through...

• Like | Congratulations 1