Acronyms

1) "Which mode is normally used when sending RTTY signals via AFSK with an SSB transmitter?"
2) "Which mode is normally used when sending Radio Teletype signals via Audio Frequency Key Shifting with a Single Sideband transmitter?"

Which one educates more?  Question 1  or 2?

What's AFSK, RTTY, SSB?  Yeah, I stopped, inturrupted my train of thought, and went and googled it.

Why is it that all the study guides assume us green grasshoppers know what all the Ham acronyms and slang is?  Look, I know all you old goats who got your Extra ticket in the same testing session with Marconni know what they mean.  BUT WE DON'T.  That's why we're studying!
I'm studying for the general, and apparently the standard is memorize the correct answer out of the four and understanding be damned.  Apparently the ham standard is just memorizing the answer and not learning anything.

End of griping!    LOL  Ya know what they say, Sir.  As long as the troops are complaining, they're motivated.  LOL

• Administrators
ELMER

I have a story to tell 😁 When I was in college, I had a friend who worked at Bell Canada as an engineer. He must've had a Masters in Engineering and a PhD in Acronyms. It got to the point where we would break up laughing whenever he spoke. He could not help himself. But I digress. Indeed, the acronym fight is an old one. I am of the school that acronyms are fine so long as you have spelled them out entirely at the beginning of any document, but you're right, amateur radio operators do not do that, even for something as simple as ARRL. If I were designing any of these documents, I would always write out the full name, put the acronym in parentheses, and then, going forward, use the acronym. Also, that's what glossaries are for. If it were up to me, I would include a glossary, yes, even with study guides, exams, rules, etc, especially in a field that uses them as extensively as we do.

:QRT:

• Agree | Support 1
  • Like | Congratulations 1
  • Funny 1

I think that's just common courtesy.  I don't expect them to go into a full page detail about what AFSK is and how it works  But it'd be nice to know what they are actually talking about.

When I talk to family or un-military people I don't talk about the APC at the TOC when I was on FTX in the FRG with the CO and XO eating an MRE in the OP/LP with the FNG in MOP3.   I wouldn't expect them to have a dang clue what I was talking about.  Why do some Hams think us cherries know all the acroynms that are specific to the hobby?   I mean sure, I'm going to now them all eventually.  But that isn't going to happen this week.   But the test is this week.  There's no "Here's your General class license, and you can come back and take the exam next year after you learn what all the acronyms mean."

I'm scoring 90% on the Ham Study general section right now.  A lot of the questions I don't have a clue what they mean.  I just know the right answer when I see it because I've memorized it.  And it sure doesn't make me a better student or a better Ham.  Heck, I don't even have to see the question.  Most of them I can see the four answers and know which one is right compared to the other three.  I don't think that benefits the hobby any at all.

This seems to be a case of "Knowledge without understanding".

For instance, I know the maximum depth for a dive on 30% blend of oxygen is 121 feet then I die.  I'm just one of the guys that think it's important to know why I'm gonna die, why it works like that.  Not simply just memoriing the number 121.

I know, Ive gotten the "Why are you too lazy to go google it?" remarks on some forums.  My position is if you're representing your education program as a Ham learning and educational tool, then YOU need to teach and educate, not tell me go hunt the answer down then come back and continue reading.  That's annoying and inturrupts concentration.

Thx.  TTYL.   :)
~kt4obx

• Funny 1

• Administrators
ELMER
46 minutes ago, KT4OBX said:

When I talk to family or un-military people I don't talk about the APC at the TOC when I was on FTX in the FRG with the CO and XO eating an MRE in the OP/LP with the FNG in MOP3.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The overuse of acronyms is an ironic problem in that amateur radio is all about the ability to communicate accurately and efficiently.  K3MRI is absolutely right when he points out that initial usage of an acronym should be defined in a written document.  And most hams will explain the terms they are using when talking with someone new to the technology.  All in all though, I can't help but think that one of the reasons hams are so reliant on the use of acronyms and abbreviations is because of our roots in cw (Morse code) where brevity hails supreme.

As for the state of testing, back in the "old goat" days, there was no question pool.  The prospective/upgrading ham was expected to learn the material, and didn't have a clue what the test questions were.  In fact, during the late 70's, the FCC was upgrading tests and the examinee didn't even know whether the test would be over tube type or solid state technology.  When the FCC decided to loosen the standards for becoming licensed by establishing the question pool, it justified its decision by claiming that by memorizing the questions, the examinee would learn the material.  Apparently that's not quite accurate.

In my own experience, I was most frustrated with the Novice test because, having absolutely no background in electron excitation, the material to me was pretty much black magic (Ohm's Law? Just remember the eagle, the Indian, and the rabbit).  As I upgraded my license, the material was less "Just trust us on this one because it's so" and more "This is how it happens and why it all works." 

I am hopeful that things will start falling into place for you as they did for me, Anthony.  If you keep at it, you will grow as a ham.  And some day, when you're the old goat, remember how frustrating it was for you and give an assist to an "FNG." 

• Agree | Support 1

• Administrators
ELMER

@NS7X Wise beyond your WPM 😎