My Kind of Remote for FD 2022

WA2WMR

How's this for 2022.

The drop off and pick up times might require 3 nights but, for 6 people, that would be about $130 each. For 4 people it would be $195. Assuming that the station(s) would be inside, station set up/tear down could be done during the ride up/back and the only thing left to do would be to set up antennas upon arrival and pull them down before departure.

Not sure what kind of power is available so it might be a QRP arrangement since I doubt that gasoline generators would be allowed. (But I don't know; they might be)

• Like | Congratulations 1

• Administrator

Wow! That would be amazing. As for power: solar + batteries. The challenge is finding enough for space antennas.But I will say this, I could be convinced to do this.

Well, since the caboose would be in place for several days, it can be assumed that it is not a working track, so, with a couple of tripod mounted masts, wire antennas could be run out along the right of way. Or a vertical could be used - wonder how the rails would work as a ground plane? Wonder if the rails could be loaded as "grass wire antenna".

Just looked at the times again and there seems to be some confusion. At the top of the page it says drop off at 2:00 pm, while at the bottom of the pate it says that departure is at 2PM. If drop off is at 2PM and the operating position was set up during the ride up, then, with drop off at the beginning of field day activity antennas could be set up quickly as soon as FD started. (Not talking about any elaborate antenna system here. How fast can your military vertical be set up?) and give up a couple of hours on Sunday, we could actually get by with 1 night at $330 or $115 each for two people. If the departure is at 2pm (dropoff ???) it would need another night which would increase the cost by another $260 or $295 each for two people. (but it would give time for some photography.) I have requested a clarification from them.

May not get a high score but, with some good pix, might be able to get a wright up in QST or, at least, a cool video.

• Administrator

I'd be up for a few days, frankly. Also, I think this is one where Maria would actually join in. Ideally, we could have gone up some time in 2021 for a test run, but they're fully booked. Regardless, maybe we can still visit? To be considered. Is this a COTA - Caboose on the air?

Well, I really screwed that up. I tried to delete my last comment and ended up deleting the whole thread.

Anyway, here's a possible suggestion for FD 2022. Cost would be between five and six hundred dollars for Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Due to the hours of drop-off and pickup, Monday becomes necessary. Adding in Friday to avoid losing the first hour or so of FD would and another hundred plus to the cost, but giving up that first hour of FD gives an extra three hours on Sunday.

Cabooses on the Air for Field Day 2022

This is a video showing the amenities in the caboose.

• Administrator

5 hours ago, WA2WMR said:

Well, I really screwed that up. I tried to delete my last comment and ended up deleting the whole thread.

Anyway, here's a possible suggestion for FD 2022. Cost would be between five and six hundred dollars for Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Due to the hours of drop-off and pickup, Monday becomes necessary. Adding in Friday to avoid losing the first hour or so of FD would and another hundred plus to the cost, but giving up that first hour of FD gives an extra three hours on Sunday.

Cabooses on the Air for Field Day 2022

This is a video showing the amenities in the caboose.

This deserves some additional thinking... several aspects to it. In principle I really like it, though. I'll draft a set of thoughts/questions and maybe we can discuss and then put it to the Caboose people. 

I think a lot depends on if one is trying to run up a good score or just trying to have an enjoyable time. Basically, the difference is complexity of antenna setup. Personally, I run out of a backpack. The only thing that doesn't go in the backpack is the 18ft mast/tripod assembly (which I would bring) but I've only had that for the last few FDs. Before that I ran wire strung out to trees as far up as I could reach - about 7 feet. Setup time < 30 minutes. QRP also limits need for setting up generators, although, depending on receive current draw of transceiver some kind of charging setup or high capacity battery would be needed.

From the description of sleeping facilities in the second video, I wouldn't think actually trying to have 6 people be acceptable. My personal preference would be a two man operation.

• Agree | Support 1

• 1 month later...

Well, this may be a problem. Seems like this place is well within a national radio quiet zone.  Here is an ARRL link to an article about it. Unfortunately, vital details about operating within the zone are sparse.

• Unfortunate | Sad | Too bad 1

• Administrator

On 9/2/2021 at 7:05 AM, WA2WMR said:

Well, this may be a problem. Seems like this place is well within a national radio quiet zone.  Here is an ARRL link to an article about it. Unfortunately, vital details about operating within the zone are sparse.

So, I'm personally in favor of these quiet zones. They serve a greater scientific purpose. On the flip side, those living there are getting fed up and want to be able to connect with the outside world. There are several legal battles ongoing.

I have a different idea for FD now. I'll give it a bit more thought and revert.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Shame, it would have been quite cool; a unique experience, regardless of performance.

Here's one for you... imagine if we could put a barge in the Chesapeake... hmm. Salt water, open space...

Short of that, for our region, I really think that the southern part (more saline) of the Eastern Shore on the Chesapeake is what would work best. We need to find someone with an acre by the water.

Third option... I have an ace up my sleeve. I just have to call and see if they're still amenable to us being there. Only problem is that, while it is a very cool and saline option - putting up antennas will require some creativity. Will revert.

Good thoughts, Jim, but I think the reason I'm so willing to throw in the towel is my reservations about leaving my wife alone while I'm in a cell phone dead zone with no immediate way back. So I'm just gonna operate from my usual Field Day location. (But it would have made such a cool video 😞 )

• Agree | Support 1

Just received a reply from the observatory people wanting to know a more exact location of operation. I will contact the railway to see if I can get a more exact location of the drop off points.

Gee. I feel like a fish that has been eyeing up what looks to be a tasty insect on the surface when the fisherman on the other end of the line gives it a twitch.

• Funny 1

Just checked (roughly) on Google Maps the distance between the observatory and the train terminal in Durbin, WV. It looks like less than 10 miles. Don't know where the drop off point for the caboose will be. Will call them tomorrow.