QRI?

K3MRI

• Administrator

A question that may remain unanswered. I direct it mostly at CW ops because we use Q-codes more than talkers 😇🥰

QRI?? Depending on the source of your definition, it broadly asks the question: "How is the tone of my transmission"? The answers I have found seem to agree that 1=Good, 2=Variable and 3=Bad.

In every other evaluation scale in ham radio, the higher the number, the better, not the worse. 5/9 means what it means; it's better than 2/6. So why is QRI in reverse order?

Anyone have any idea?

• Administrator

21 hours ago, WA2WMR said:

Why only 1 to 3? RST tone goes 0-9

I know. But this is the definition that I got from some official source. I can’t look it up right now, I’ll do it later tonight or tomorrow and post the link.

• Administrator

Hi Lind. So, looked it up in several Q-code listings and they all have the same QRI definition (see image). Thoughts??

Jim

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 8.11.27 AM.png

According to Wikipedia, the Q codes were adopted in 1912 while the RST system was adopted in 1934 by Arthur W. Braaten. I guess Braaten thought the 1-2-3 system didn't define things fine enough. So the answer to your original question (why the difference between order of good to bad vs bad to good) seems to be different conventions at different times for different people. Or, one was designed by an individual while the other was designed by committee.

• Administrator

So, first off, I like the explanation. Well done and appreciated. However, now we need a command decision. I'm preparing something really nice for Ham Community and this QRI question needs a decision. We agree that no one in his right mind would respond to a QRI with 1-2-3? Right? I wouldn't. I would instinctively use a scale of 9. However, if anyone looks up a QRI definition, for now they'll find 1-2-3. So, do we change the world, or just lazily drift along in the raft of habit?

We deal with the reality that if most people received the query "QRI" their response would be "WTF?" and not worry about it. It's not a raft of habit; it's standing on solid ground of an antiquated code that no one uses.

• Funny 1