Ham Community
RF Connection is proud to co-sponsor Ham Community and its members – keeping it free of advertising clutter – right up to the end of June 2021.

Say thank you by visiting their website or special Ham Community page.

Whats the Ham term for this?

I hope I put this in the right section.
I'm wondering what is the correct term to call this kind of communication.  I know it's not simplex and the two parties are not on the same repeater.
My buddy lives 30 miles away in New Bern.  I live in Morehead City.  We both have the same rig, the AnyTone 778U/V with a short 1/4 wave mobile antenna.

Now I can reach my local repeater in Morehead, but I can't reach the repeater in New Bern with my little antenna but I can hear the New Bern repeater.
My buddy can reach his local repeater in New Bern, but he can't reach my repeater in Morehead but he can hear it.

So I listen on the New Bern repeater, and transmit on the Morehead repeater.  He Listens on the Morehead repeater and transmits on the New Bern repeater.

Is there a term to describe this VS both users being on the same repeater?  Is that what they call "talk-around"?

Thanks
kt4obx

• Administrators
ELMER

HI Anthony. Great question. First let me answer the talk-around question, and then let me come back to the first part of the post.

Talk around is two things to different people. By that I mean that it has adopted two meanings. To many, believe or not, it simply means to get onto a simplex frequency. This is typical of people who constantly use a repeater for comms and now want to talk directly outside the repeater pair. This is also called ‘going direct’.

Then you have the more technically accepted term of talk-around, notably used by two (or more) people who are near a repeater but do not want to trigger/use the repeater, either because they’re too close to it, or want to speak on lower wattage directly to one another, and they choose to do so on the output frequency only. So both are on the output frequency. In most radios, it’s a clunky process. You literally have to reprogram your radio to not use the split (e.g. -600). On some radios, you can simply press the talk around option on a programmed repeater frequency and it will just disable the transmit offset and transmit, usually without the tone, on the repeater’s output frequency. What I always ask those who use talk around is why not simply QSY to a simplex frequency so as not to conflict with those trying to use the repeater normally?

Now the dual repeater scenario. I simply cannot remember if there was an official or accepted term for this (maybe someone else can remember?). I can tell you what my dad used to call it: “The Double Hijack”. He called it that because you’re, in essence, confusing the heck out of those who are listening to one repeater or the other without being in on your tactic. I know that where I originally come from, this is frowned upon because people who are not set up like you are, only hear one of you, making it confusing, at best.

I’d be curious to know how you’ve set it up though. Are you using dual VFOs, which from memory, the radio you have does not have, or are you programming the mother of all splits so as to go in on one, and out on the other? In short, it’s innovative, but not great etiquette and may be frowned upon by repeater committees.

Of course, I may have misunderstood the entire premise of the question, in which case 😬

• Like | Congratulations 1

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation.    I sorta figured it was "frowned upon" as a listener can only hear one side of the conversation, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't "FCC illegal" to do it that way.  That's bad it's frowned on, but it's the only way we can talk until we both get bigger antennas.  We don't talk much so maybe we won't bend anybody's antenna doing it this way.

The way we did it is, the radio monitors two freqs, an "A" and a "B" frequency.  The radio is in VFO mode.  With this radio one can can only talk on the "A" channel, but can hear on both "A" and "B" at the same time.  So I programmed "A" as my 145.450 freq with the proper offset and tone.  Then I programmed my "B" channel with the 442.075.  Offset and tone don't matter on "B" as I'm only listening.  So when I transmit, I'm transmitting on 145.450 and hitting my local repeater about 5 miles away. 

My buddy did the same, but simply swapped the "A" and "B" channel.  So he transmits on "A" on 442.075 to hit his local repeater, and he listens on "B" on 145.450.

It was a little funny Tuesday.  The local rag chew started at 7:30.  I continued to talk with the guys on the rag chew.   My buddy was talking with them too until I told him nobody could hear him because they weren't listening to his New Bern repeater.  I could hear him but no one else could except maybe the guys who live in his area and use that repeater.

• Administrators
ELMER

Well, we can agree on one thing, hams are creative, 🤗 we always find workarounds.