First post by 4X1JB

Hey Ham Community, this is an automated post on behalf of our new member: 4X1JB,

On behalf of Ham Community, let's give 4X1JB a warm welcome.

4X1JB, we encourage you to browse around and get to know the Community's many sections. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask, as with all things HAM, we all love to give advice 😎

For everyone's information, 4X1JB joined on the 05/07/2021; this is their profile: View Member.

• Like | Congratulations 1
  • Administrator

Welcome to Ham Community Joe, and thanks so much for both participating in the Census and being our first member from Israel. 🇮🇱 Really really appreciated! Hope you can bring some of your friends along also.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your welcome. Much appreciated.  I am licensed in the USA as kb3uhp but haven't been there in over 4 years.   I've only recently started being active again. I had been mostly on 2 meters using the repeater in Haifa (let me know if you want to QSO via EchoLink).  I'm now, mostly on Fridays, on 20 meters, SSB and digital. I hope to move CW but it's been 30+ years since my last CW QSO and I'm out of shape.  Being in Israel allows me to work tons of European countries.  Haven't had a contact to the USA yet.

And to Raffi (wd6fie):  תודה על קבלת הפנים שלך.

Joe

• Like | Congratulations 1
  • Administrator

6 hours ago, 4X1JB said:

Thank you everyone for your welcome. Much appreciated.  I am licensed in the USA as kb3uhp but haven't been there in over 4 years.   I've only recently started being active again. I had been mostly on 2 meters using the repeater in Haifa (let me know if you want to QSO via EchoLink).  I'm now, mostly on Fridays, on 20 meters, SSB and digital. I hope to move CW but it's been 30+ years since my last CW QSO and I'm out of shape.  Being in Israel allows me to work tons of European countries.  Haven't had a contact to the USA yet.

And to Raffi (wd6fie):  תודה על קבלת הפנים שלך.

Joe

Joe, don't forget to keep your US license! Renew it! I lived abroad for a while and almost forgot to renew it. Jim.

16 minutes ago, K3MRI said:

Joe, don't forget to keep your US license! Renew it! I lived abroad for a while and almost forgot to renew it. Jim.

Hah!!  You were almost too late.  A few months ago I had to re-init my laptop.  When I re-installed tqsl, I had request new certificates for my two licenses. It wouldn't accept my USA license and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then I looked at my license and saw that it had expired 6 months ago!!!!  I thought I was in big trouble.  I went to the FCC web site and found out that they have a grace period of (as I recall) 3 years!  I reapplied and within a day I had my license back (good till 2030).  

FYI, if you hold an Extra Class License like I do, you don't need to take any licensing exam in Israel.  The two countries have reciprocity agreements. I only had to show/verify my USA license and I was able to get the highest ranking license offered in Israel, class A (דרגה א) and I got to choose my call letters.

Joe

• Thanks 1

Joe,

Thanks for the "personal" note and I read your bio on QRZ and am intrigued about the licensing in Israel.  I lived in Tel Aviv for two years working for a company which we purchased and it was an experience beyond my expectations.  It never crossed my mind to get an Israeli ham license while I was there -- just too busy working US hours and enjoying what Israel has to offer!

I'm on ft4 and ft8, and if you ever hear me, please give me a shout.  We are hoping to return to Israel in the next couple of years for an extended visit and I'll look you up and we can meet in person.

73's and Shabbat Shalom

Raffi -- de WD6FIE